Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Steve
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building my first set of road wheels...components should be arriving in the next couple days. What do you guys use for lube on the rim holes and spoke threads? Do most use standard bike grease, or would anti-seize be better (i have an ample supply of both)? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
ergott said:
Grease at the rim holes and anti-seize compound for the threads.
Eric
I'm with Eric and have a few decades experience to know that it works. It really doesn't matter what is used as long as something is used.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm NOT a professional wheelbuilder. I use old-school beeswax on the seats and threads with no problems. Yep, I use bug secretions on my bikes.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
The OP already has what he needs. If you can't make a wheel stay true without something locking the threads (linseed oil, spoke prep) then you are doing something wrong.

There is no sense in buying more stuff.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm also taking the leap and building a set of wheels myself and have a related question about prepping the rims before applying grease as mentioned above. I've read that the spoke holes should be "deburred" from the inside, but nothing I have found really details the tools that are needed and I was wondering what method would be best?

I understand the need to remove any internal burrs that may have been created when the rims were drilled without increasing the diameter. I do have some small diameter conical shaped stones for a Dremel tool that I could mount in a slow rpm drill to do the work, but wonder if there is a better tool for the job, like a tapered diamond coated bit. Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I use a 1/4" spherical burr mounted in a drill (my dremel is too weak), to make a small chamfer. IMO it's a good idea for both rim longevity and nipple seating to not have a sharp edge there. I also use a marine anti-seize that is made to prevent corrosion between SS and aluminum, if aluminum nipples are used. If they are brass, it matters little.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Zen: Kinlin XR-270, using Sapim brass nipples. External.

rruff: I wondered what you did, but never had one of your wheels apart to take a look. I'll follow that suggestion too about the burr you are using. BTW, Alchemy hooked me up with rims and spokes....great folks and thanks for the recommendation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts