Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. Lost the old point and shoot skiing. Vacation next week and needed a new camera. Picked up a Nikon D50 yesterday. Very cool, and can't wait to play with it.

I bought the 'high' speed 1GB SD card the shop recommended. $$$. They said that there were different speeds at which the card can store the pics. Saw on line that bargin cards are quite a bit less. Any downside to using these cards vs. the $$$ one's?

Thanks, KJ

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
High speed cards are just that "High Speed".

KJohnson said:
Long story short. Lost the old point and shoot skiing. Vacation next week and needed a new camera. Picked up a Nikon D50 yesterday. Very cool, and can't wait to play with it.

I bought the 'high' speed 1GB SD card the shop recommended. $$$. They said that there were different speeds at which the card can store the pics. Saw on line that bargin cards are quite a bit less. Any downside to using these cards vs. the $$$ one's?

Thanks, KJ
When you capture an image it first goes to your cameras built in memory (called a buffer?). The image is then sent to the memory card. The buffer in your camera can only hold so much. If you take pictures quickly the buffer can fill and stop your shooting. A higher speed memory card can transfer the data from the camera faster emptying the buffer quicker (within the limits of the camera software). This allows you to take more images quicker (important for sports and not much else).

A high speed card will also potentially download to your PC faster-not important unless you have taken hundreds of full size images.

For cameras almost everything on line is cheaper and unlike bicycles fit is not an issue......

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
What MB said ...
Also, I have the D70, and it's a little picky as far as what cards it accepts. So before you buy, make sure it's on the accepted list.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
There is a good camera forum

KJohnson said:

Thanks, KJ
http://www.dpreview.com/

You could talk to the people who own that camera and see what they tell you. There are some serious geeks there. Go to the forum section and start there.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I went back to the camera store at lunch and picked up a 2GB card that they recommend. Figured it was better to spend a little extra up front for something that will work rather than save a few pennies and have to upgrade later anyway. That should give me about 900 pictures between the 2 cards. That should last for a week of vacation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.