Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw on amazon a camera deal under "used" for a a Olympus OMD EM1 with a lens for $400. The ad says still in original box and unused, but to contact the seller first. So I did and I asked if it was grey market or refurbished. He said it is brand new un-opened with an international warranty. Amazon has their A-Z guarantee, which may offer some protection. Am I an idiot for buying this camera? Is it too good to be true or have any of you taken advantage of these international new cameras marketed on Amazon as used? Did you get taken advantage of?

Thx.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know how Olympus does things, but "International warranty" for some other well known camera makes means grey market. OTOH lots of people have had success with grey market cameras. Another concern would be what kind of a rep does the seller have? Also consider that a new OMD EM1 has a price of $1099 body only, no lens. Seller is offering $400 with lens? It is not a deal I would take.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
depends what the lens is probably.

i use an oly, too, but only because i didnt think i could afford a nikon or canon when i bought it 10 years ago.

on the other hand, it's still going strong. the two lenses it was bundled with needed an upgrade. the new oly lens i bought was another $400, but worth it.

if buying new today, i would go with the best nikon slr (and nikon lens) i could afford.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.