Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
FAIL. I'm a campagnolo loyalist, but the ergo rd shifting of Athena is horrendous. It's not even suitable for training, much less racing. Click...pedal rev..click...pedal rev...click....pedal rev.

And Ultra Tourque= great. Power Tourque= meh.

I guess what really bothers me about this is that campag is executing the opposite of trickle down technology. They spend time and money developing an inferior tech option to justify their premium products. There. Glad I got that off my chest.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
FAIL. I'm a campagnolo loyalist, but the ergo rd shifting of Athena is horrendous. It's not even suitable for training, much less racing. Click...pedal rev..click...pedal rev...click....pedal rev.

And Ultra Tourque= great. Power Tourque= meh.

I guess what really bothers me about this is that campag is executing the opposite of trickle down technology. They spend time and money developing an inferior tech option to justify their premium products. There. Glad I got that off my chest.
Not a total failure. At least they finally made the NDS crankarm self extracting, so you no longer need a $150USD tool to take apart a $100USD crankset. The longer lever arm FD and higher wrap RD are also good calls. Also the steel-cage FD on Potenze is the way it should be on Chorus and up, the Al cages are stupid.

But the single shift nonsense is silly. And yes, intentional bricking.

As far as economy goes...I got my Chorus 2015 for $900USD....so $850 for Athena is kind of punk.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Sounds like redesigned Athena with a new name and higher price tag to me.

I bought an Athena group when it first came out (or back I guess). The shifters are Ultra Torque. The next year they downgraded it to Power Torque. A couple year later, I built up a bike for my wife using Athena, but opted for Chorus shifters. I don't understand why the Power Torque shifters aren't relegated to the low end group that are still 10-speed.

The cranks are getting ugified. They look like Shimano cranks. Just bought a new Chorus group and I think I like the looks of the old cranks. And I like it that the "old" 11-sped isn't compatible with the "new" 11-speed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not a total failure. At least they finally made the NDS crankarm self extracting, so you no longer need a $150USD tool to take apart a $100USD crankset. The longer lever arm FD and higher wrap RD are also good calls. Also the steel-cage FD on Potenze is the way it should be on Chorus and up, the Al cages are stupid.

But the single shift nonsense is silly. And yes, intentional bricking.

As far as economy goes...I got my Chorus 2015 for $900USD....so $850 for Athena is kind of punk.
True.
Fundamentally, I'm willing to bet it went down something like this:
Campag upper management to R&D : here is your 10 million euro budget. design something inferior to our existing system to dumb it down.
They could have saved money and given their loyal fan base a better product with relatively no added R&D if they simply came out with all-alloy chorus version.
It's insulting to any knowledgeable consumer, IMO.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
True.
Fundamentally, I'm willing to bet it went down something like this:
Campag upper management to R&D : here is your 10 million euro budget. design something inferior to our existing system to dumb it down.
They could have saved money and given their loyal fan base a better product with relatively no added R&D if they simply came out with all-alloy chorus version.
It's insulting to any knowledgeable consumer, IMO.
I am with you on that. I bought an Athena group to go with my latest steel bike because I wanted that retro polished Al look. I knew I was giving up multiple shifts which was a downside. Had an alloy Chorus group been available, I would have gone with that. I dont understand Campy's marketing strategy

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like redesigned Athena with a new name and higher price tag to me.
What exactly is redesigned here? It seems like it is just borrowing from the Chorus and Athena groups, which is what you would expect seeing that is where it is intended to fall in the group range. Looks to me like a alloy version of chorus, with Athena shifters and a hybrid axle design (not as good as Chorus' Ultra-Torque but a better version of the current Power-Torque on Athena).

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
The last straw for me was when they dumbed down and retro-engineered Chorus brakes back to a 10 year old Centaur spec as well as making 11 speed stuff incompatible after 2014. I haven't bought any groups that are Powertorque at all, even my Centaur cranks are Ultra-torque. My next bike will likely be Etap, and I don't feel that bad about it either.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. Although I would just get Chorus given the choice. If you're after the full retro look then you'd have to choose between this or Athena. On my steel bike I have Athena, but wanted the multi-shift option so I went with Chorus shifters.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. Although I would just get Chorus given the choice. If you're after the full retro look then you'd have to choose between this or Athena. On my steel bike I have Athena, but wanted the multi-shift option so I went with Chorus shifters.
I did the same with my and my wife's steel bikes. Athena will get cut and Potenza will take it's place and come in a polished version. But did you notice the cranks? Even with a silver finish, they don't have that retro look. In fact, they look like ugly @ss Shimano cranks.

Unless you're after the retro look, Chorus is the best choice in the Campy line up IMO.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I did the same with my and my wife's steel bikes. Athena will get cut and Potenza will take it's place and come in a polished version. But did you notice the cranks? Even with a silver finish, they don't have that retro look. In fact, they look like ugly @ss Shimano cranks.

Unless you're after the retro look, Chorus is the best choice in the Campy line up IMO.
I did see the crank. They need to be all silver is you ask me. I really like that you can remove the crank with a 10mm driver rather than have a special tool like the current Power Torque.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I did see the crank. They need to be all silver is you ask me. I really like that you can remove the crank with a 10mm driver rather than have a special tool like the current Power Torque.
I read that its being offered in a black and an all silver/polished version. At least they realize that there's a market for a group with a polished finish.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
I read that its being offered in a black and an all silver/polished version. At least they realize that there's a market for a group with a polished finish.
Do any of those colored alloy versions ever last?

I had their gunmetal gray Centaur 10s group from 2005 or 6....inside of a season or to the finish was rubbing off on the crankarms.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
What's all the hate for? Compared to Athena you get:

A crank you can work on
11evolved gearing
Possibility of running 11-32 with the medium cage RD

If you want Ultrashift get the Chorus comandi.

The polished version on a Colnago Master? I could live with that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My only question is whether Athena is retained and priced down to compete with 105/Rival, Veloce down to Tiagra/Apex, etc. Thats what Campy needs to do if they ever hope to regain footing in the OEM market.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was disappointed with what I saw. Been a Campy rider for more than 20 years and there isn't much new here to justify a new group name. It's really an updated Athena gruppo with a new name. I expect Campy will drop the Athena name (again!). Such a waste that Campy continues to play with gruppo names and water down any heritage or cachet they may have. Marketing suicide I think.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
My only question is whether Athena is retained and priced down to compete with 105/Rival, Veloce down to Tiagra/Apex, etc. Thats what Campy needs to do if they ever hope to regain footing in the OEM market.
Athena is going to be discontinued.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I dont know what steps Campy took to maintain a foothold in the OEM market, but it wasn't enough (or maybe they didn't even try). I dont know how they can continue for long with a business model based solely on aftermarket sales. Based on SRAM's success getting spec'ed on OEM road bikes we know that it can be done. If I were King of Campy for a day, I would meet with several OEMs and try to strike a deal (even if it were break even) to get Campy on the bike shop floor. I would also provide components to bike shops that agree to put them out on on display. I love my Campy stuff but their business approach leaves me scratching my head. Having 3 viable sources computer in the road market is good for the consumer. Now if FSA comes out with a viable electronic group at the right price, that could change the game a bit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts