Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Campagnolo shifters with a triple FD? I have a pair of Centaurs 10s lying around for a possible future touring build. Just wondering if it's possible.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

I haven't tried it, but one of the first things I did when the new shift levers came out in 2008 is check the total cable pull and compare it to the amount that I needed for my triple FD. The total cable pull is .650 inch and I use less than than amount for my triple FD. I've read reports from users who claim that they couldn't make it work, but that makes no sense. Campy mentions nothing about their current triple FDs only working with pre-2009 shifters.

The problem for most people is they don't apply enough cable tension. They use up cable pull taking up slack. With the older shifters, it requires 7 clicks to operate a triple FD. If you use any more of the 12 available clicks, the tension is not adequate. It should only take one full sweep of the finger lever (5 clicks) to shift from the little ring to the middle ring, followed by 1 click of the thumb button to recenter the FD. If you can't shift to the middle ring with one sweep, that also indicates too little cable tension. Too much cable tension will lift the lever arm off the small ring limit screw.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I finally got around to putting my campy brifters on, it works. Mated with vintage Suntour Front derailleur for triple 24-36-48. Love the trimming option with campy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts