Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running campy 9 speed ergo shifters with shimano 9 speed cassette for a few years with only the occassional mis-shift. I just bought a new set of wheels (velocity aeroheads, white industries hubs) with campy hub body. I decided to convert everything to campy and figured it would shift perfectly.
I put new chainrings (FSA), chain (campy c9), and campy 12-26 cassette on. Previously with the shimano hub body I was running 12-23, but on canecreek rims. I put it all together and I can't seem to get smooth driveline motion on the 39x26, but it's pretty good on the 23 cog. When I back pedal, the chain gets snagged on the 26 too. Do I need to add a link to the chain to lengthen it for the 26 gear? I also put a couple spacers in between the hub body and cassette. This seems to have helped some, but the chain is almost touching the chainstay in the 53-12. The only other thing I can think of is the derailleur, which is also campy chorus 9 speed. I believe it is a short cage. Brandford bike says this deraillleur will work up to a 26, so I don't think that is the problem.
Sorry for the ramble, but I am heading to colorado next wknd, and I will be needing the 39-26 a lot. Thanks.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
possible problems...

Did you adjust the B-screw that changes the distance between the upper pulley on the rear derailleur and the cassette? If this adjustmenet isnot something familiar to you, go to www.campagnolo.com and look at the instruction PDF files.

I just posted the correct method for adjusting chain length for another poster. Chain length isn't your problem in the 39/26.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=63788

It is possible that your derailleur hanger is misaligned. That can cause the lower end of the RD cage to touch the spokes.

I think your cassette is a 13-26, unless you modified it. Yes, you will probably need the 39/26 a lot. I pass guys all the time who ride the Colorado mountains with only a 39/26 low.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I got it working a lot better. I took the jockey wheels off to clean them and I ended up putting the bottom one on backwards(arrow facing wrong direction). I also made some adjustments to the set screws per campys directions. We'll see how it works on the road tomorrow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.