Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to share my experience with my new build of my extra bike with full 2008-2009 Campy Veloce, which is my first experience with Campagnolo.

I built it up an an all aluminum Giant OCR 2, compact road frame. I originally upgraded the drive train to 105, but through the years I sold the shimano groupo but kept the frame for sentimental reasons. I wanted to switch to campy for several reasons. 1. To try something new and different. (I currently have SRAM force on my carbon Time Edge Racer). 2. I found an awesome deal on Ebay for a brand new full groupset (under $500). 3. I wanted to build up my old frame as a rain bike/loaner to friends interested in getting into cycling before they make a huge investment.

After a lot of research, I chose Veloce for the entry level price but solid reputation. I needed a durable reliable drive train that actually shifted when I wanted it to (so I stayed away from Shimano Sora/Tiagra and equivalents) I found out that the mavic Aksium Race's I had left over from my most recent wheel upgrade (Williams system 19's), would be easy to convert with a mavic campy freehub ($20 new on ebay, and also new online for around $60).

I decided on having my local very experienced bikeshop complete the build (except for the wheel conversion which I did myself), as I didn't have all of the tools and they gave me a great deal. I just got the bike back, and here are my initial impressions:

Shifting is quick, smooth, and exact (in comparison to 105, Ultegra, 2007 SRAM Force). The thumb and paddle shifting took seconds to get figured out, and the 20 mile ride to get used to. Compared to shimano 105 (that was perfectly dialed in by experienced mechanics and over 2000 miles of riding), rear shifting is smoother, much more exact, and much lighter. I attribute the lighter shifting feel to having separate brake and shift mechanisms, as with SRAM. Compared to my perfectly dialed in SRAM Force, the shifting is smoother, and less mechanical. I think its about the same or just a hair slower than force. At least in the first 20 mile ride, there were no missed shifts at all. Dropping up to 3 gears at a time with a long sweep of the shifter paddle was smooth. I never accidentally dropped gears when I did not intend to.

Front shifting compared to Force and 105 was quicker and again smoother. I never had the major problems with the front derailleur as others have had with Force (I credit my LBS with dialing it in correctly). In comparison, I notice that in both the big and little front ring, I have access to all rear gears with Veloce without ANY problems. With 2008 Force, the smallest gear when in the big chainring is usually out of reach and requires shifting the front derailleur.

As I have mentioned, the shifting is very smooth. I did notice that the drive train/ chain is louder than my SRAM set up though. (I never experienced the loud chain/drivetrain problem so many complained about with SRAM). My SRAM set up is truly virtually silent, but my campy set up is definitely audible, not annoying, but I definitely hear the constant whir at speed.

The veloce dual pivot skeleton brakes are nice and strong, but definitely not as strong or responsive as my SRAM brakes, which are the strongest of all brakes I've ever ridden. I wonder if they will become more responsive after a break in period and if I get used to them. I don't know if they just modulate more with a deeper pull on the brake levers. They still do provide excellent braking as I broke hard several times with some twisty paved bike trails and decents, but the feel was definitely different than my immediately responsive force. Compared to 105, they are definitely stronger.

The cranks are well built and solid. Not as light with the push of the pedal as Force carbon cranks, but not too noticeable either. Still responsive in big efforts in and out of the saddle.

I have never ridden record/chorus or older centaur/veloce, so I don't miss being able to dump all of the gears with one stroke. I think that the shifts are light enough and it's already very easy to just press the thumbshifter or click the paddle multiple times.

Overall I am extremely happy with my latest build. If I had the choice to do it all over again, I definitely would. With this first foray into Campy (and entry level mind you), I'm sold. I still love my SRAM force (I like the very precise/exact shifting and almost mechanical feel) and think Shimano makes a great product for a great price too. I like all of these three shifting modalities, and I think they are just different. I prefer Campy and SRAM for their separation of shift and brake levers which I definitely appreciate now. If I can ever afford another bike, it will really be a difficult decision for SRAM vs Campy.

I'll repost more thoughts as I put in more miles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Make sure to report back after some use. Campy does seem to have some difference in feel once it's "broken-in". It's a good thing. Kinda like having to break in a very nice pair of shoes.

Also on a side note & some experience: did you clean off that grease that came on your Campy chain? If not, good, don't. It's actually IMO really good stuff & should last you at least a couple hundred miles.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
to jpdigital,

sorry, OP..a little off topic.
do you know where can i find that grease that comes with a new campy chain?
i'm looking for that actually (fantastic stuff), and wondering if anybody knows where can i find them.

thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maverick said:
to jpdigital,

sorry, OP..a little off topic.
do you know where can i find that grease that comes with a new campy chain?
i'm looking for that actually (fantastic stuff), and wondering if anybody knows where can i find them.
thanks
It's not available, as it requires hot dip application, cannot be properly applied when at room temperature. Big mistake removing it, most think it's there to keep the chain rust free when in storage, actually is a premium quality grease. Only problem: it's sticky

·
Oh hai there
1,104 Posts
^^^^^^^^
most greases are sticky, they proctect better than oil but if not covered will attract contaminants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.