Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is no key

There is no key. The engagement splines/grooves are so big that if you install them even one spline off from center, it is so completely obvious that the arms are not in line. This would be obvious and easily corrected even before you start to tighen the fixing bolt.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not crazy about the idea. Looks like a creaker that'd eat bearings.
I second that and think this will be the worst design on the market...I would rather have good old square BB than this

·
Registered
324 Posts
Campy's probably been putting years more thought into this than the other outboard bearing manufacturers; they've had plenty of time. It's certainly an out of the box design and will probably work great; I agree, it'll make the square taper carbon cranksets affordable at long lst. =)

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
srf said:
Campy's probably been putting years more thought into this than the other outboard bearing manufacturers
I don't know if they've actually spent all that time researching a new method or just delaying... the CampyOnly entry from April 6, 2005 says they're getting help from FRM and the design will be similar to one already on the market from some company called NegMass.

I agree about the cheap square taper cranks coming back into the market though... I guess it's time to start hoarding BBs...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Hey FORT,

The link in your post appears to go to the site's main news page. I'm a little slower than usual this morning, but I don't see a reference to the Campy cranks. Li'l help??

Also, asterisk, that NegMass crank appears to actually eliminate the need for a bottom bracket. Is Campy trying to accomplish this?

TIA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
team_sheepshead said:
Hey FORT,Also, asterisk, that NegMass crank appears to actually eliminate the need for a bottom bracket. Is Campy trying to accomplish this?
Well... assuming the rumor is true, the NegMass cranks ( exploded diagram here ) appear to have the axle integrated into the crank arm and the bearings slip over the respective sides.

Cyclingnews has a photo today in their tech news from the drive side.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
The new shifters will of course work with the current derailleurs. As for the looks, well, obviously Record anything is going to look better than Mirage anything. I'm willing to bet the new gen Record and Chorus cranks will look quite nice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
srf said:
I love the multiple shift, and it's nice to have on both my 'fun' bike (Record) as well as my rain bike (Centaur).
Multiple shifting to the smaller cogs will be a prerogative of Record and Chorus only, and will be the only difference between Chorus and Centaur shifters, both CF.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.