1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, $75 for that paint job? Um, ok. I know bike paint schemes are lame and getting lamer by the year but minimalist lame isn't much of an improvement.

Why did it take him a year to call DengFu and get a sample painted up? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys - Ryan from nud here. Thanks CSquare43 for the mention; thought I'd pop in to clarify a couple of things.

It has come up a couple of times in the reddit thread as well, but the frame is not sourced from any of the direct-to-consumer manufacturers.

You're right that it would've taken me less time to call up Dengfu - it took me over a year to set this up because I wanted to do it right. That meant checking out more than one manufacturer and ordering not just more than one frame model, but also more than one sample of each model for lab and ride testing.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no point selling at a markup something that is already available - the point was to bring to market something that's better. That's why I didn't bother with any of the direct-to-consumer manufacturers like dengfu/hongfu; as a business we have access to manufacturers that deal exclusively with bike brands, so we chose to partner with a Taiwanese OEM with over three decades of experience in composite sporting goods - almost a decade of that in bike frames. I have flown over to tour the manufacturing facility in person, and I have every confidence in them.

To be honest, it is a bigger challenge than I was expecting to distinguish the scout from an FM0XX. Based on who's making the scout, it has more in common with carbon frames being raced right now in Paris-Nice -- and has the BB stiffness data to match -- than some groupbuy special.

Nud is obviously not the only company that's selling carbon frames this way, and we're entering a crowded market that's seeing carbon frames increasingly becoming commodities. But I started it anyway because I felt there was so much room for improvement in terms of being open and transparent, informing with clear pictures and data rather than claims and hyperbole, and providing responsive customer service.

Hope that goes some way in addressing the criticism, and thanks for taking the time to voice it - it helps me figure out what to work on!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd be interested if the paint scheme was more to my liking. Wish you had more choices. But I love your warranty and testing standards. If I hadn't just bought a new frame, I'd be interested. Wish you well.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Shoot, I like the the orange/black combo. I just bought a used Tarmac and if it ever cracks, I'm giving you a call. If I hadn't literally just bought the Tarmac (3 rides on it) then I would be giving you a call to talk about these frames some more. If you ever need someone to "test ride" one of these at races, I'll make a video of me taking an ax to my bike and never stop plugging for NUD frames.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd be interested if the paint scheme was more to my liking. Wish you had more choices. But I love your warranty and testing standards. If I hadn't just bought a new frame, I'd be interested. Wish you well.
Thanks - keep us in mind for the future!

Shoot, I like the the orange/black combo. I just bought a used Tarmac and if it ever cracks, I'm giving you a call. If I hadn't literally just bought the Tarmac (3 rides on it) then I would be giving you a call to talk about these frames some more. If you ever need someone to "test ride" one of these at races, I'll make a video of me taking an ax to my bike and never stop plugging for NUD frames.
We actually do have a grassroots sponsorship program in the works - I'll shoot you a PM with the details when it's ready.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Bluah,

I saw that on your website and was intrigued. You hammer out the details on that and I'll keep riding hard until I hear something from you!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Looks pretty good. I like the lines, no funky curves or z-bends that don't do anything and no internal cable routing to be a pita. You have a nice broad size range and are selling at a more than reasonable price. Nice job.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I think regardless if there's a bit of an originality issue, the no-frills approach backed by warranty (though CS is something to evaluate down the road - and I'm not implying anything) and testing sounds good.

Shame I'm really not hot on PF setups, despite that being what the successful testing was pertaining to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluah,

I saw that on your website and was intrigued. You hammer out the details on that and I'll keep riding hard until I hear something from you!
Thanks and will do!

Dang, I was really negative. :)

Good luck
Thanks and no worries! I'll work on doing a better job of differentiating our offering.

DengFu is not a manufacturer, simply a export/wholesale/reseller/trading company that shares office space with one (or more) manufacturers.
Is there anywhere I could read more about this? Their website says that they do the manufacturing.

Irrelevant really, but man, I cannot stand the "how'd I do?" attention whoring on Reddit.
I can see how it comes across that way, but I meant it in terms of "please provide feedback".

Looks pretty good. I like the lines, no funky curves or z-bends that don't do anything and no internal cable routing to be a pita. You have a nice broad size range and are selling at a more than reasonable price. Nice job.
Thanks - that's what I was going for. =]

I think regardless if there's a bit of an originality issue, the no-frills approach backed by warranty (though CS is something to evaluate down the road - and I'm not implying anything) and testing sounds good.

Shame I'm really not hot on PF setups, despite that being what the successful testing was pertaining to.
Customer service is definitely something I want to get right, starting with a hassle free return policy and free two way shipping for warranty replacements. But like you said, the real test would come with time.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Never had the opportunity to ride a carbon bike. Hell, I've been too intimidated to get one off the rack at the store! Just riding my Allez Elite.

Always wanted to try carbon. Still a little pricey for me, but they look gorgeous. I'd also look silly with Tiagra on a carbon frame.

·
Registered
865 Posts
bluah--I love, no adore, the minimalist paint scheme. We're not racers, so why are we all riding bikes with these pro paint jobs. Between that, and having the manufacturer's name plastered on every tube and component, I'm not sure which is worse. The orange or blue--both appear well executed, and I'd be hard pressed to choose, so nice job there. As someone with enough components to complete my own build, you have my interest. As one who has started and run a business from zero, you have my respect and best wishes for a successful endeavor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never had the opportunity to ride a carbon bike. Hell, I've been too intimidated to get one off the rack at the store! Just riding my Allez Elite.

Always wanted to try carbon. Still a little pricey for me, but they look gorgeous. I'd also look silly with Tiagra on a carbon frame.
We'll be around when you're ready to make the leap :p

bluah--I love, no adore, the minimalist paint scheme. We're not racers, so why are we all riding bikes with these pro paint jobs. Between that, and having the manufacturer's name plastered on every tube and component, I'm not sure which is worse. The orange or blue--both appear well executed, and I'd be hard pressed to choose, so nice job there. As someone with enough components to complete my own build, you have my interest. As one who has started and run a business from zero, you have my respect and best wishes for a successful endeavor.
Thanks for the kind comments! It definitely isn't easy, but there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

Bluah,

I got your PM and had a response all typed up, but turns out I haven't made enough posts to PM yet. I should have an update with regards to the sponsorship situation in about a week or two, and will let you know then, thanks!

In the meanwhile, you (or anyone else here) can get in touch with me directly at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.