Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I can buy a used zipp 404 clincher.. 2007 very clean about 3000 miles.. (1100$)

or brand new Spinergy Stealth PBO clincher... 2010.. 700$

my weight is 178-180 lbs

what do you think and why?

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a set of both. The 404s are the max since I am 220#. They are both great wheels so far. The Spinergy went through a pretty bad accident and is still perfectly true. They are both smooth and fast though I like the look and sound of the Zipps.

I know that I am not being much help but I think you are doing well with either one. Get the one that you like the best.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
you could also get Reynolds Attacks or Strike new at that price range - I'd keep away from used Zipps and the PBO spokes look like they'd do terribly in a wind tunnel (though I've never seen any data on them).

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I just scored some Reynolds MV32's for $1k new and I was not in the market for new hoops. If you stop looking you may come across a steal that you can't pass up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mimason said:
I just scored some Reynolds MV32's for $1k new and I was not in the market for new hoops. If you stop looking you may come across a steal that you can't pass up.
usually for the mv32.. it's about 2000$

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reviews about spinergy are good and the price is really good too, the weight is about the same between zipp and spinergy +-1650g..... but zipp 404 has a 58 rim depth and spinergy + - 43 I think.. huge difference for the aero side

·
Registered
446 Posts
personally, i'd go new with a set of wheels, unless the used set are in like new condition... just my opinion though... i picked up a set of reynolds assaults recvently and love them... you can find lightly used sets for around 650 i think.... new they're over double that... i'd make sure whatever you do, you're happy with the purchase... zipps are great and i'm sure theyll last, i'd do a bit of research and see if you have any other options... they eastons are really nice i hear, and i love the mavic cosmic carbonnes... tried them recently and they were amazing

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bikerboy337 said:
personally, i'd go new with a set of wheels, unless the used set are in like new condition... just my opinion though... i picked up a set of reynolds assaults recvently and love them... you can find lightly used sets for around 650 i think.... new they're over double that... i'd make sure whatever you do, you're happy with the purchase... zipps are great and i'm sure theyll last, i'd do a bit of research and see if you have any other options... they eastons are really nice i hear, and i love the mavic cosmic carbonnes... tried them recently and they were amazing

yes a bit heavy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts