Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be changing cassettes and was wondering if I should change my chain as well. The chain has approx. 1500 miles on it.
I’m just swapping a DA 9 speed cassette for a new Ultegra one.
The DA 9 speed cassettes don’t seem to be available anymore.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
I’m going to be changing cassettes and was wondering if I should change my chain as well. The chain has approx. 1500 miles on it.
Who knows? Impossible to say unless your bike is in the same room I am.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
A 9 speed chain with 1,500 miles should still be good, but you can always check it with a ruler. 24 links should measure no more than 12 1/16".
Yup. And even then the chain MIGHT jump when on a new cassette and you stand on the pedals. These are the two tests that the chain must pass. If it hasn't elongated and doesn't jump teeth under pressure then you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

if you are changing the cassette you should get a new chain. after 1500 miles the chain may have been influenced by the worn cassette. it may not work with a good cassette. considering the cost its money well spent. you're very likely to experience issues if you do not.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
dura ace and ultegra are fully cross-compatible.
on my older 6500 set-up i believe shimano stopped offering separate versions
and on my new bike which is now dura ace i use ultegra chain and cassette because its less expensive, lasts longer and there are some who believe dura ace cassettes don't work very well.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
um, no. You should get a new chain when the chain is worn.

With 1500 miles I'd just wait until the chain is toast before replacing the cassette. And if it's already there, well....you know.
I'll disagree with that. if the cassette is worn and the chain has miles, that same chain may not pair well with a brand new cassette.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Right, may. But what you said is he should buy a new chain when ever replacing a cassette (to paraphrase). That's just ridiculous.
yep that's what i'm saying. new chain with every cassette, but NOT a new cassette with every chain. should be 2-3 chains per cassette if done properly.

an ultegra chain is $25 apx. not a big cost either.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I practice this method, as well. But go a step further by replacing my cassette at 8k miles - same time as installing my third chain - no matter what the wear. It enables me to eBay the cassette for a few bucks and avoid taking it to the absolute end of its lifecycle.

yep that's what i'm saying. new chain with every cassette, but NOT a new cassette with every chain. should be 2-3 chains per cassette if done properly.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts

This logic makes NO sense. A half worn chain (1,500 miles) imparts no more significant wear on a cassette with 0 miles on it than a chain with 1,500 miles will impart on a cassette with 1,500 miles (a cassette with 1,500 miles is basically new).

I suppose an alternative would be to save that 1,500 mile chain and reinstall it when that "new" chain wears out after 3,000 miles. After the reinstall one would have a 1,500 mile chain on a 3,000 mile cassette. Granted, that is all unnecessary.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I'm a Campy guy but the concept is the same. I swap wheels between bikes, cassettes between wheels, every once in a while, a new cassette. I would need some type of bar coding inventory system to keep track of which chain goes with what cassette. I replace chains when they are worn out. I could get in some kind of farm accident and lose most of my digits and still keep track of the cassettes I've ever really worn out, but I'm not a masher and I have a bunch of bikes I rotate through. That being said, despite all my cassette shenanigans my bikes all shift very nicely. Put on a new cassette, if you're not happy with the shifting, no harm done, then put on a new chain. Go ahead and buy the chain because you'll need one eventually anyway. (Btw, I was partial to SRAM pc99 when I rode Shimano 9)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.