Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my worn SRAM 10sp chain when I upgraded my wheelset, which also included a new cassette. Since then, I've put perhaps 250 miles on the bike. The drivetrain is running exceptionally smoothly at the moment and the chain seems nicely lubed and is not particularly dirty.

The section on new chains on the Sheldon Brown website states that
The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
I've followed that so far but wonder how many miles consitute "several hundred" and what the consensus is on when to lube a new chain?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It doesn't matter what he'd trying to say. Lube your chain when it needs it (starts to make noise) regardless of how many miles is has.

Miles are a horrible way to decide when to lube a chain because rain and dust are great variables. For example factory lube will probably only last about 40 miles riding on wet gravel roads in the rain but probably over a thousand miles riding on an indoor track.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
recently installed a new KMC X10SL. wiped the exterior with a rag after each ride and got about 250 mi before noticing a little chain noise.

at that point, applied some Chain-L and rode 740 miles before lubing again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.