Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
off the back
Joined
·
15,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my cleats on these pedals with another set that I had, but that's the last one. Want to see about picking up a couple more sets to have on hand when these wear out, but undecided on which ones to buy.

Time says that the RXS cleats will work with the Impact pedals, but some sites, like Excel and a couple others, have said that they won't. If they'll work, I think I'd like to go with them in case I buy some RXS pedals in the future, or should I just not think about possible upgrades for now, and just buy whichever's cheapest, Impact or RXS cleats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Impact Cafe cleats

A lot will depend on what sort of drilling you have on your shoe. The Impact Cafe will bolt directly onto your shoe with a four bolt pattern but needs the thin black insert if you go with a three bolt pattern. The RXS cleats are only for three bolt and attach directly.

Most of my bikes have Impacts on them as I switched over from Equipes in 2002. Like you, I've been going through cleats. I got hit by a car a few weeks ago and most of the impact was taken by the right Impact which became extremely stiff, either from a jammed bearing or bent axle. As a result, I'm out of spairs and switching over to RXS, and have been buying up a few pairs as well as RXS cleats. I've also ordered a couple of pairs of the Impact Cafe's which in theory are backwards compatible and will work with my Northwave Evolutions which have a four bolt pattern.

As an aside, one of the sellers of a pair of RXS' told me that he had switched over to Iclic's but preferred the RXS as the stack height's lower and the cleat is different.




rufus said:
I just replaced my cleats on these pedals with another set that I had, but that's the last one. Want to see about picking up a couple more sets to have on hand when these wear out, but undecided on which ones to buy.

Time says that the RXS cleats will work with the Impact pedals, but some sites, like Excel and a couple others, have said that they won't. If they'll work, I think I'd like to go with them in case I buy some RXS pedals in the future, or should I just not think about possible upgrades for now, and just buy whichever's cheapest, Impact or RXS cleats?
 

·
off the back
Joined
·
15,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if I'll ever upgrade, as I like my Impact pedals just fine, and there have been stories of the plastic RXS pedals snapping the front tab off. My problem was the little tab on the front of the left cleat, the thing you snag the front of the pedal with and then step down to clip in, had worn away to nothing, and it's gotten harder and harder to clip in, I guess because without snagging the front of the pedal, my foot isn't always lined up perfectly to engage the pedal.

I did a search on line, and while the best price on Impact cleats was something like $32, Speedgoat has the RXS cleats for under $30.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
rufus said:
I don't know if I'll ever upgrade, as I like my Impact pedals just fine, and there have been stories of the plastic RXS pedals snapping the front tab off. My problem was the little tab on the front of the left cleat, the thing you snag the front of the pedal with and then step down to clip in, had worn away to nothing, and it's gotten harder and harder to clip in, I guess because without snagging the front of the pedal, my foot isn't always lined up perfectly to engage the pedal.

I did a search on line, and while the best price on Impact cleats was something like $32, Speedgoat has the RXS cleats for under $30.
Total Cycling has Impact cleats for $16.
 

·
off the back
Joined
·
15,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Total Cycling has Impact cleats for $16.
I think that's 16 euros, and probably another 16 to ship them.

edit. Nope, I guess it is dollars, but like I said, the shipping is probably gonna kill that deal. I can't spend a couple hundred bucks just to make it worthwhile.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
rufus said:
I think that's 16 euros, and probably another 16 to ship them.

edit. Nope, I guess it is dollars, but like I said, the shipping is probably gonna kill that deal. I can't spend a couple hundred bucks just to make it worthwhile.
Shipping would be about $19 for a total of $35. Cheapest stateside appears to be Cambria and they're $39 with shipping. Totalcycling is still your best deal.
 

·
off the back
Joined
·
15,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I can get RXS cleats from either Speedgoat or Pricepoint for under $30. And Pricepoint has some Phil Wood grease that I need also.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
rufus said:
But I can get RXS cleats from either Speedgoat or Pricepoint for under $30. And Pricepoint has some Phil Wood grease that I need also.
Fine, get them, they'll work. But, I thought you were looking for Impact cleats so I gave you a good source.
 

·
off the back
Joined
·
15,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really I just want the cheapest option. If the RXS cleats will work with Impact pedals(some say they will, others, like Excel, say they don't), and they're cheaper, I'll probably get them. I just wanted confirmation that they would work.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top