Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i finally got tired of paying for so much gas so this past week i began commuting to work. it's a short 4.5 mile commute but in doing so i've cut my fuel useage in half.

wonder how many others will be driven to commute by bike with the latest price hikes?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, I'm loving this high gas price stuff, I see more commuters out and about, lol!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Cool

Keep up the good work.

I'll be starting up this week. I picked a different route this time, and I like it much better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I sometimes wonder how many miles I could go on a gallon of food. 'Course, it'd depend on the food, I guess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the more interesting engineering question would be to determine the amount of calories per gallon of fuel and then seeing how far you are able to go on the same amount of calories!

A gallon of gasoline (about 4 liters) contains about 31,000 calories. If a person could drink gasoline, then a person could ride about 912 miles on a gallon of gas (about 360 km per liter). Considering that a normal car gets about 30 miles per gallon, that's pretty impressive!

To be fair, keep in mind that a car generally weighs a ton or more, while a bicycle weighs only 30 pounds. Cars also travel a lot faster than 15 mph. But it is still an interesting comparison.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts