Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've decided to take the plunge and start commuting to work. In order to make it more enticing, I got a new bike. Here it is:

My ride will be about 32 miles round trip. Next week will be my first ride so any tips or advice would be welcome! I live in an area that doesn't have nice bike lanes or shoulders to ride on, so I've been working on a nice route. I have two options, neighborhoods w/ stop signs or main roads with no shoulders and decent traffic (although I'm sure it will be lighter if I leave early). Which would you prefer?

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
DIgitaljs said:
Hello all!

I've decided to take the plunge and start commuting to work. In order to make it more enticing, I got a new bike. Here it is:

My ride will be about 32 miles round trip. Next week will be my first ride so any tips or advice would be welcome! I live in an area that doesn't have nice bike lanes or shoulders to ride on, so I've been working on a nice route. I have two options, neighborhoods w/ stop signs or main roads with no shoulders and decent traffic (although I'm sure it will be lighter if I leave early). Which would you prefer?
Nice bike! Looks like a race bike with cantis. What's the deal? Is it a cyclocrosser?

Generally, I'd steer you onto the neighborhood streets. How bad are the stop signs? Can you run them or at least stay in the clips getting through them? Do you have various options on the neighborhood streets? If so, I am sure you will find the fastest way within a few weeks.

My commute is 32 miles each way. I've done it 100% on a bike a grand total of ONCE! I'm going to start training for a century in August, so maybe I'll start making the bike commute once every week or two, starting very soon.

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it's a cyclocross bike. I thought MAYBE I would give that a try also. I think for my commute a cross bike would be best though because of the rough roads around here.

32 miles one way is a long commute, I can see why you haven't done it too many times :)

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
DIgitaljs said:
Yep, it's a cyclocross bike. I thought MAYBE I would give that a try also. I think for my commute a cross bike would be best though because of the rough roads around here.
Plus the fender clearance. And I gotta say, that there's one racey looking cross bike.

- FBB

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
My commute is 32 miles each way. I've done it 100% on a bike a grand total of ONCE! I'm going to start training for a century in August, so maybe I'll start making the bike commute once every week or two, starting very soon.
That's actually longer than mine! I go 28 miles each way and did it an average of twice a week in May. It did take me quite a while to work up to that and really get the logistics down.

One week I did 34 miles on Sunday, commuted Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, all fixed. Thursday was fine but I thought I was going to die on the ride home that Tuesday. I would guess you can handle once a week handily when you get used to it. One of my biggest problems is not always the distance, but that I have to get up at 4:30am at the latest when I ride but can sleep until 5:30 if I drive. Wow does that pillow call me when I get up to turn off the alarm at 4:30!

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
DIgitaljs said:
Hello all!

I've decided to take the plunge and start commuting to work. In order to make it more enticing, I got a new bike.

Nice ride. 32 miles round trip sounds really good. Not too short, not too long, in my opinion, though the advantage of shorter commutes is that you can always make them longer if you want. Since my commute is so long, I take the shortest route possible. It is really up to you to decide what route you can take and still be comfortable. A few stop signs wouldn't bother me but one every few blocks for miles sure might. No matter what, make sure you're lit up so cars can easily see you.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
DIgitaljs said:
My commute is 29 miles round trip with no bike lanes. I ride on both main roads with no shoulders and through neighborhoods with stop signs. I really don't mind main roads where there is a good road surface and traffic is not too heavy -- most of my commute parallels an expressway and most traffic is there even at rush hour. Neighborhoods seem like a better alternative at first glance. But, in neighborhoods you have to watch out for opening car doors if there are parked cars and random pedestrians -- like kids chasing after balls. Also, your commute will be much slower through neighborhoods. You did not mention crime as an issue. If you have to ride through a high crime area, stick to the busiest roads -- you are much less likely to be accosted when lots of traffic is around than you are in a low traffic area with stop signs. The only way to really answer your question is to do the ride and play around with alternatives. I have been commuting regularly for five years and I still play around with my route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.