Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New Commuter

480 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fbagatelleblack 
DIgitaljs said:
Hello all!

I've decided to take the plunge and start commuting to work. In order to make it more enticing, I got a new bike. Here it is:

My ride will be about 32 miles round trip. Next week will be my first ride so any tips or advice would be welcome! I live in an area that doesn't have nice bike lanes or shoulders to ride on, so I've been working on a nice route. I have two options, neighborhoods w/ stop signs or main roads with no shoulders and decent traffic (although I'm sure it will be lighter if I leave early). Which would you prefer?
Nice bike! Looks like a race bike with cantis. What's the deal? Is it a cyclocrosser?

Generally, I'd steer you onto the neighborhood streets. How bad are the stop signs? Can you run them or at least stay in the clips getting through them? Do you have various options on the neighborhood streets? If so, I am sure you will find the fastest way within a few weeks.

My commute is 32 miles each way. I've done it 100% on a bike a grand total of ONCE! I'm going to start training for a century in August, so maybe I'll start making the bike commute once every week or two, starting very soon.

Yours,

FBB

DIgitaljs said:
Yep, it's a cyclocross bike. I thought MAYBE I would give that a try also. I think for my commute a cross bike would be best though because of the rough roads around here.
Plus the fender clearance. And I gotta say, that there's one racey looking cross bike.

- FBB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.