Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two bikes that are great in their own respects, but would be perfect if combined. The first is a 80s Schwinn Le Tour: smooth riding steel frame, fits my body like a dream, but with tired old components. The second is a 2005 Trek 1500: top notch components, but the frame doesn't feel right and is meant for racing (I want a bike for light touring/commuting). You can probably see where this is going...

So the question is: would there be any issues with switching the parts over to the old bike? I know the brakes won't fit, but would the crank/bottom bracket be a different size? Would the handlebars from the 1500 fit on the Le Tour? Would the wheels fit? And so on...

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Need any mint Shimano 7 speed stuff?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
From that era you will have to worry about whether the wheels are 27" or 700c and then see if the brake calipers are long/short enough to reach the wheels you want to use in each bike. The seat posts could be different diameters also. It's likely your rear dropout spacing and BB are the same and there wasn't a lot of proprietary fittings like there are today, so what you want to do
should be mostly easy.

You got your peanut butter in my chocolate... No, dude. You got you chocolate in my peanut butter. Should turn out great.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Won't work. Schwinn used a different bottom bracket at that time. Brakes won't fit. Le Tours are 27". Dropouts are different sizes too I think.

Find something like my 84' Ciocc, 700c and relatively light. I can tell you this, you can build an old frame up with new stuff, you'll get to the point to where the frame will hold you back, at that point you'll want to find a light frame and swap everything over.

If you need new components for your Schwinn I have a box of everything here. Gears, shifters, all NOS never mounted. couple cranks, brake sets. I could build three bikes with what I have here.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Why not go with something like the Salsa Casseroll? Best of both worlds: new frame so the new stuff'll fit, its a steel frame with a much more relaxed geometry so it should be comfy, and best of all fairly inexpensive. Soma makes a Smoothie in a similar vein if you can't get the Salsa.

HTH

M

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Depends what year the Schwinn was.

Some Le Tour take 700c, but the Schwinns from the 80's should have 120-126mm spacing. That's where the problem lies. Also, from my understanding the BB's should all be 68mm English.

Yes you can can "stretch" 4mm to 130mm spacing for 10 spd, but remember, resetting is permanent, not to mention adds to material fatigue (though not that much).

If anything, the best bet is either to save up for a similar geometry frame, or get a custom build with the same dimensions but different spacing spec.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
yeah, my 76' Superior and 78' Traveler are 126mm, the neighbor's 84 Le Tour is 126mm and uses 27" wheels (I rebuilt it) where as my Ciocc is 130mm and can take a 10-speed.

I opted for the 9-speed for weight savings and that I don't need 9837242987 gear combinations (although I could have used them today.....ugh headwinds)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts