Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Cannondale Caad 3 from 2001, it has a tiagra gruppo. I have been thinking of getting another bike and incorperating some upgrades.

Would it be any benifit/worth the money to just upgrade the components instead of a whole new bike. I was thinking of going with Ultegra or higher, I'm not opposed to SRAM either.....

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Ultegra is plenty fine. So is SRAM Rival and IMO, that's a really, really good bang for the buck (Rival) and is a really solid group.

With respect to getting a whole new bike, well, do you want a new frame to build up over time? Or are you really just keen on a new groupset for now with no desire (or not much in the foreseeable future at least) of getting a new frame/having an additional bike to ride.

Additionally, what would you want this new bike for if you're getting it? To race? A more comfortable all day long bike maybe? For touring? Cyclocross? You could get a new frame for something else maybe so you'd have 2 bikes with different characteristics. That would be pretty nice.

HTH.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Depend on how much you like the frame, and how much you want to spend. You can get a new 7800 Dura Ace for about $1000. You might be able to find Ultegra for less. Campy, which I absolutely love, is obscenely expensive. If you can build it yourself you'll save some money there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats what I was thinking about. I like the frame just fine, I've got a new set of mavic wheels on it, it would be nice to have another bike, but I'm thinking about some new components. the only thing wrong with the frame is it has some scratches.

I'm not really looking for so much performance gains, as updating, and making some smoother shifts, the Tiagra is starting to get a little clunky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts