Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wore out my last set of tires, Michelin Pro Race that came with the bike. Lasted 2000 miles or so by switching the front and back a couple of times. I never really flat (some people do and some don't, I'm a don't), but decided what the heck I'll try the GP 4000. Kind of pricey, but why not? Now that I have ridden them a few times, I couldn't tell you the difference. No way, no how. Maybe that is good? Race tire to more difficult to flat tire and they are the same.

How exactly do you tell on similar tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,504 Posts
It's you

Midwestern Biker Dude said:
but decided what the heck I'll try the GP 4000. Now that I have ridden them a few times, I couldn't tell you the difference. No way, no how. How exactly do you tell on similar tires?
There are those among us who can easily tell the difference between tires, even seeing 1.5 mph speed increases from swapping tires or getting major jazz from riding open tubulars. Obviously, you can't feel the pea under your mattress either :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right!

Kerry Irons said:
There are those among us who can easily tell the difference between tires, even seeing 1.5 mph speed increases from swapping tires or getting major jazz from riding open tubulars. Obviously, you can't feel the pea under your mattress either :)
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try that pea thing tonight and see how it goes. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,047 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
There are those among us who can easily tell the difference between tires, even seeing 1.5 mph speed increases from swapping tires or getting major jazz from riding open tubulars. Obviously, you can't feel the pea under your mattress either :)
Are you saying there is no difference? I won't lay claim to any speed increases, but I think there IS definitely a difference between an open-tubular and a "not." A nice veloflex makes even a pro race feel like a garden hose. Conversely, I think Armadillos are so hard that they will run flat. The issue is only noticeable at the extremes, if you ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,504 Posts
Different = better?

filtersweep said:
Are you saying there is no difference? I won't lay claim to any speed increases, but I think there IS definitely a difference between an open-tubular and a "not." A nice veloflex makes even a pro race feel like a garden hose. Conversely, I think Armadillos are so hard that they will run flat. The issue is only noticeable at the extremes, if you ask me.
I would agree that there are differences, and I would agree that you can feel the differences under certain circumstances, but IME (among top line tires) there are NOT performance differences. Just because a tire feels different doesn't mean it is better. And further, "open tubular" is just a marketing term that makes people think that they will get the magical "tubular ride" from a clincher. There is no agreed definition of what constitutes an open tubular, and careful study of construction details will tell you that top line tires are all built pretty much the same. Some claim that these are open tubulars while others do not. As for me, I rode tubulars for 30 years, and when I switched to clinchers, I couldn't tell anything that would suggest any magic in the tubular ride. But don't believe me. Erik Zabel says he can't tell the difference either :)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top