Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question on new Cranks/BB

I'm hearing a clicking noise when I pedal and it is at a certain position. It's usually 3-5 clicks when I am pedaling hard, and so I think that the bottom bracket is going because I just got new pedals. I have bontrager sport cranks and which ever bottom bracket it came with, so I'm thinking about getting new cranks and bottom brackets. I'm just a recreational rider for now, but may join my college's cycling team. What's something relatively cheap, but still nice looking?

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
Usually when you get a noise at the same point of each crank revolution (and in both chainrings), it's comming from the BB. Take your crank arms off and check for bearing smoothness. If they're ok, you might be able to rid the problem by simply cleaning / re-tightening the assembly.

A worn drivetrain can cause what you describe too.
Also, check for loose chainring bolts.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Torquing to spec

Jdkane527 said:
I don't have any torque spec tools, so what is the best way to make sure I don't overtighten it if I do so?
It's unlikely that you would overtorque a BB, since they typically are the highest torque settings on the bike. That said, it is hard to work on a modern bicycle without at least a high-capacity torque wrench for the BB and cassette lock ring. You maybe should just break down and buy the tools, or take it to a bike shop.

BTW, don't be so sure it is your BB that is the problem:

It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I recently had a similar problem: two or three quick taps from the drivetrain on every power stroke under high-torque situations (pulling away from a stop, climbing a hill, etc). Through a process of elimination, I determined that it was the chain. I even went so far as to order new bottom bracket bearings but I swapped the cranks the day after placing the order for the bearings and the noise was still there. I then borrowed a chain from my friend since I don't have any other bike with a 10-speed chain and the noise disappeared no matter how hard I hammered the gears. The new chain arrived today and I'll be installing it tomorrow or Sunday as I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.