Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday my wife bought me a set of FSA SLK Mego Exo cranks. Apparently she talked to a friend of mine and he told her how much I liked them on his bike, so she ordered them for me.

My dilemma is that my current bike is an '01 Trek 2300 with Ultegra components. I have not had any issues with the Ultegra cranks and they are plenty stiff, so this would be essentially a pricey cosmetic upgrade. The reviews on the FSA cranks are a little disturbing with some delamination of the crank arms and some other warranty issues that FSA seem to handle OK. Now I'm all for shiney new bike bits, but what I don't want is to change out the cranks and have quality issues with them down the road. I've already got a set of handbuilt wheels I can't trust.

I have talked to the shop and they have no issue with taking them back. Plus I buy all my stuff there, so it's not like I'm sticking them with something. And I'll be buying a new bike next year, so the bike they'll be going on will be semi-retired shortly.

So what should I do? Keep them or return them?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Keep them. At your age, not getting the wife miffed is worth far more than any badness that could come from putting those cranks on your Trek.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Keep the FSA's, when it turns out you've got a bad one you'll still have the Ultegras. Bear in mind that reviews are usually witten by people who have strong emotions about things, and unfortunately that usually means bad experiences. There's lots more people spinning them happily on a daily basis.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ditto on the wife comments...keep her

I'm fortunate that my wife pretty much lets me buy what I want, but then again she would have no clue what a crankset was in the first place.

I am one of those that likes the FSA cranksets and in particular the MegaExo outboard bearings. I like them WAY better than the new Shimano cranks. My main rides are now Campy, and I ended up keeping the FSA cranks for two reasons. 1)they look and work great, and 2)I just couldn't make the cost/benefit leap to the Campy carbon cranksets.

However, if the FSA bling factor isn't going to work for you, then swap them in at the shop for something you REALLY want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts