Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well - cranks are pretty much compatible with all drive trains. What'll work on campy will work on shimano. What kind of bottom bracket do you have? Do you currently have a double or triple crank? Going from one to the other will require a different bottom bracket most likely.

In that price range you can get a non-mega exo FSA K-Force crank off of ebay. Should run $200 to $250. Uses an ISIS bottom bracket.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
sphinks36 said:
I wanted to get a new BB and I've heard that compact is the way to go.
Well, what you heard was wrong. Whether you go compact or standard depends entirely on how you pedal (cadence), where you pedal(hills, mountains, flats), and other personal factors.

You might want to look at a gear calculator to get a feel for what might suit you better. Search the archives for gear calculator, and you should find something.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm actually wanting to ditch my compact. In a race(and some very competitive group rides) I've noticed its harder to catch an attack. With a regular crank you can usually just downshift from big ring to small in the front and rapidly jump up your cadence. With my compact I downshift in the front, but have to upshift one or two in the rear to get the right gear, and thats a costly couple of seconds. I live in Austin, which is really hilly, and a lot of the guys around here are using regular cranks no problem. Just gotta get stronger and lighter. :)

Another good thought is the Ritchey WCS cranks. I think they're kinda ugly but they are wicked stiff and pretty light. Price on 'em is good too - I think they come in just under the $200 price range.

·
Registered
704 Posts
sphinks36 said:
I need some new cranks for my bike, but I'm not really sure what to get. I'm 6' 160lbs and I'm looking for a sub 200$ crank for a shimano setup. Apreciate the feedback.
I got my Shimano compact from Total Cycling in N. Ireland - free of their VAT (17%, if any pol ever asks you about a single tax system, :rolleyes: ) for around $180. Their website is http://www.totalcycling.com/ - there's little flags on each page to select your currency. Also had to buy the BB, but that applies in US also. IIRC, shipping was about $15 and my order came as fast as any US bike stuff MO place I've used.

While it is possibly the ugliest crankset around - the cranks are okay, but the design dept must have had a Sakae break before they settled on that chainring finish - it shifts far slicker than my 'old' 9 speed Ultegra drivetrain and the standard Shimano Ultegra front der. works fine with the 34.50

Hope that helps

Dereck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.