Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im needing to replace a few things on a trek 4300 that i got for very cheap. one of the things being the crankset as its more rust than anything else. only info i can see on it is CXE3 by the looks of it and its 42/32/22. nut sure about the arm size (170mm or 175mm)

anyways im thinking of ordering a new Shimano HG CS-HG50-9 11T-32T cassette for £15 and would like to order a new crankset at the same time. would anyone be able to recommend one as i have no clue when it comes to this. obviously the cheaper the better but at the same time i know cheap products can be a waste of time.

oh and also would anyone be able to give advice about a new chain as this one has snapped! :O

thanks in advance. any help would be very helpful i.e links etc :)

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
As a starting point, you should determine what kind of bottom bracket (BB) you've got there so you can find out what types will fit your bike.
I'd replace the BB with the crankset since you describe a bike that's not been well taken care of.

Most crankarms have the length marked somewhere on the inside of the arm. Or just measure it. Most mtn bikes came with 175mm.

There are plenty of good 9-speed chains out there that will work well. The KMC has a master link that is handy if you'll need to disassemble it often.

The best prices I've seen on cheaper cranksets are from Nashbar. I like amazon, too. Shimano has some lower level pieces that work and shift well but are heavy with steel chainrings.
There are plenty of choices out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.