Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been biking for a while now and i only just starting paying attention to the crankset and cassette. Im thinking about getting a new bike so I want to know about the differences between the different cranksets and cassettes.

I am 5'7" and weight 75kg. I live in Singapore so my rides are pretty flat with short climbs once in a while. Can you recommend any combinations??

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Everyone will have a different opinions as to what works for them. For the most part weather you choose compact or standard gearing you will still be able to shift the gears into very similar gear ratios.

Since you ride flats mostly if i were you i would get standard 53/39 front rings and a cassette around 12-27 since there are climbs near you. You probably would not utilize a 11-23 cassette (you would always be in the bigger cogs).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If you have big climbs nearby, then go with the 28 or 27. If you have short and not too steep climbs then go with the 23. If you like going really fast on flats then go with the 11, or not so fast on the flats 12.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.