Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I thought I would share some photos of my new Curtlo Cross Frame. I should have the frame this week. I can't wait!! I will be building it up with a Wound Up Fork.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Very Nice

Doug makes great frames at great prices. I picked up a Lugged frame by him used and hope to have it built by the spring

·
Registered
778 Posts
Congrats on the new frame! It looks great! How was working with Doug? Did you send him the dimensions of the frame you wanted or did you both work out sizing based on your body's dimensions? How long was the wait? I ask because I've really got an itch for a new steel frame that fits me better than my current ferrous steed for this season. Be sure to post a bunch more pics when you actually get the frame and build it up. I'd like to hear about how it was prepped (ie. was the headtube and BB chased and faced and ready to go? Any rust inhibitor applied? etc.) Also is that wet paint or powdercoat? I'd somewhere got it into my head that all his frames are powdercoated, but yours looks more like wet paint to me.

Sorry for all the questions, just anxious for some information from an owner to help me decided between Curlo or IF or ??

Again, you've got a real piece of functional art there, enjoy it! I really like the rear brake housing stop, a very nice touch. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug was great to work with. He was very quick to return calls or answer emails. When working out the dimensions I gave him the dimensions of my current cross frame, and some side photos of me on the bike while on my trainer. I then let him know what I liked about my current bike and any tweaks I would like. He then worked up a hand drawn sketch, with all dimensions and angles shown. After any final tweaks I signed off on the design and he got started. I haven't received the frame yet (the photos were taken by Doug). He does prep the frame. I have been meaning to ak him if he uses a framesaver, or if I need to get a can to do it myself. He is also installing the headset and fork, so that will be taken care of. The paint is Powdercoat. It is a metallic version, so it gives more luster to the paint. From photos I have seen of his standard paint it is more of a matte finish. Comparing Dougs bikes to others you might not get some of the bells and whistles of other builders (sealed tubes, metal head badge super fancy paint), but you do get a nicely built frame at a great price. I purchased my frame, wound up fork, and Chris King headset from Doug. For the price I paid I would be getting a frame only from most other builders.

G

·
out of curiosity, how long from the time you paid your deposit until you will get your hands on it??

How long from deposit to sketch??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I placed my deposit, and about three weeks later I had the sketch. Total time to completion of bike was about 10 weeks. Longer than what he originally quoted, but it seems most builders are like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
nice curtlo

gregdogg62 said:
I placed my deposit, and about three weeks later I had the sketch. Total time to completion of bike was about 10 weeks. Longer than what he originally quoted, but it seems most builders are like that.
i bought a mountain frame from doug in 2003, and it is very nice. i had the same experience, but the time was definitely longer than quoted. i was pretty much expecting this since it is a 1 man shop, but from start to finish i sent my deposit in june hand had my frame in mid october. that is the height of the season as well.

if i can figure it out, i will attach a picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts