Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked Waterford to give me a stable riding road bike with a nearly horizontal top tube and as much head tube as they could. This is the result. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice color

Looks good. What's the tubing and seat tube, virtual top tube measures? Expensive?

ox_rider said:
I asked Waterford to give me a stable riding road bike with a nearly horizontal top tube and as much head tube as they could. This is the result. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Tres cool. I had an '02 Roadie that had more of a level top tube--should have kept it. Though I really like my '05 Roadie.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too much slope in the '05

rcnute said:
Tres cool. I had an '02 Roadie that had more of a level top tube--should have kept it. Though I really like my '05 Roadie.
I had a 2005 Roadie in size 50 and the 13.5 degrees of slop was more than I really wanted in a bike. This is less than 4 degrees slope.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very cool!! Did you get those fancy new stainless Waterford dropouts? When I was shopping for a custom steel road bike last fall, I was very close to getting a custom Gunnar. I'm sure I'll still end up picking a stock one up on the 'Bay eventually...

Also, kudos to you for getting a more level top tube! I know some slope is inevitable for smaller frames, but to my eye the less slope the better! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dropouts

TACSTS said:
Very cool!! Did you get those fancy new stainless Waterford dropouts?
I only have this photo to go on, so I don't know about the dropouts. I will check and let you know.

Bike will be built up today at Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
When you go custom on a Gunnar, isn't it almost cheaper to go with a Waterford R14?? (custom standard)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say yes. My situation was a little different, with a warranty issue, etc. that made this a good way to go. I think R-14 is a sleeper custom option. You get custom geo. and paint and a very good design team for a great price.

That said, if you like the standard Gunnar paint, or color of the month, custom is cheap and they make a great fork. (When my bike is built, I will post the pic with the steel fork).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
"When you go custom on a Gunnar, isn't it almost cheaper to go with a Waterford R14?? (custom standard)"

R-14 $1299 plus fork
gunnar $1075 plus fork, steel straight blade $250

nice bike, ...in my size. What fork are you going to use? what else did you change other than the top tube and head tube?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
I was thinking custom paint also. That would have brought it up to $1200.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fork is Gunnar straight blade

cmg said:
What fork are you going to use? what else did you change other than the top tube and head tube?
Fork is the Gunnar 531 straight blade with crown. It has a 50 rake in this size.

Front center a bit longer to avoid toe overlap. I guess we will see about that

I think the WB is longer. I wanted to be able to take my hands off and not worry.

I think there is more, but I don't have my specs lined up with standard. I mostly wanted similar handling to standard, much less slope and a slightly taller front end to eliminate spacers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And now it's a bike

I still haven't seen it, it is making the trip from Madison, WI down to Chicago later tonight, but here it is with fork, etc.

Build is as follows:

2005 Veloce shifters and front der
2007 Veloce Infinite (that's black) UT CT 50/34 crank
Chorus 11-23 cassette
Wheels are handbuilt Velocity Aerohead and OC in the rear with Veloce hubs
Thomson seatpost
Serfas RS saddle
Profile bars and stem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.