Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally committed building up a cx bike thanks the help (or peer pressure) of some close friends.

Here is the list and I am hoping for sub 17lb rig.

X night frameset
Ultegra compact crankset (plan to change rings for actual cx coarse in the fall)
12-27 ultegra
Ultegra FD & RD
Ultegra shifters
Ritchey c260 stem
Enve compact road bars
fizik arione r1 saddle
TRP canti's
egg beater candy 3 (I like egg beaters with more platform)
Wheels are an older set of kysrium SL clinchers for now.

I went tubulars for road and like them so far. I have some reservations about running tubulars for cx. My plan is to break her
in on a 62 gravel race this month. I see guys run carbon in the mud, gravel and sand , but want to know the real durability of running
carbon in those conditions with a rim brake. I know some of you out there use them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the biggest concern is cracking a rim at the braking surface from an impact, which can happen even without flatting the tubular. most carbon rims these days are pretty durable, as you can see watching any of the cobbled classics. unless you have money to burn, i'd start out with a good quality alloy rim for a tubular wheelset, just running tubulars is a huge performance advantage over clinchers.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
there are plenty of cheap tubie wheelsets on ebay (many with tires)
search 'cyclocross tubular'
screw the carbon. just get a decent wheelset 28 to 32 spoke

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
there are plenty of cheap tubie wheelsets on ebay (many with tires)
search 'cyclocross tubular'
screw the carbon. just get a decent wheelset 28 to 32 spoke
I agree, I think a lot of the better riders get set up with fancy wheels for the road season and used them for cross so people got the idea that they were fast in part because of the wheels, when in fact they were fast and as a result were given wheels free or at cost.

The whole argument that they "slice through the mud" seems a little silly. I'd way rather have two pair of glued up tubulars on race day using some rummy 32 spoke wheels than one set of carbon wheels.

Personally, for our conditions around here, dry >> muddy >> snowy over the season, I'd use the challenge Fango and Limus, they give you a good tire for almost any conditions and you can sometimes mix and match them, like run the limus on front if you are feeling a little less confident in the turns on the Fango. If I ran just one tire it would be the limus, I'd eat the slower rolling and be able to hold fast on turns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips all. Ive picked up a couple wheelsets through ebay . I always associate carbon & tubular together. Obviously there are number of alloy tubies as well.

My other question has to do with how well the bonding holds up un cx racing. I use vittoria mastic on my roadbike. Its possible I didnt search specifics but I didn't see much about rolling tubular tires in a cx race.

I know it doesn't matter but I am a bit of a weight weenie as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.