Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas. Long time lurker here, decided to register and be part of this cool forum.

Well here goes my story/rant.

I'm pretty new to cycling, I'm a little on the chubby side. 5'10" and 205lbs. I used to be much more fit and ride with my family a lot until one day my brother in law got hit by a car. We all called it quits for a while after that.

Over the past few years I settled down, had a family, raising 2 beautiful daughters. Basically just devoted most of my free time to my girls and you guessed it....getting out of shape.

I have a few friends that ride for fun so I decided to get back into cycling and join them. They aren't pros by any stretch, I mean the longest rides they have done was probably a metric century, averaging maybe 17-20mph. When I showed up to go riding with them in my new bike, that's when the fun began.

They kept on talking about how this bike I bought was way overkill, and that I should have restarted on something much cheaper. We did about 35 miles that first day, combination route with flats and small hills, about 1200 feet of climbing. It felt good, of course they were off without me and I just kept my pace, averaging about 15mph but I finished without complaint. My legs were starting to cramp near the end but I sucked it up and finished.

I'm not at their level yet, but I just purchased a Cycleops Fluid2 trainer that I try to use 1-2 hours a night to build up my stamina.

I love upgrading things, because I just love to have shiny new parts to install. It's an addiction that dates back to my high school days when I bought my first car.

Every time I show up to a group ride with a new part, they would all roll their eyes or sarcastically say stuff like, "oh you need those Dura-Ace brakes for those grueling centuries you do right?"

Frankly, it is starting to take the fun out of it and becoming annoyingly repetitive I mean it's not like I advertise any new part I have on my bike, or try to show off to them. I'm a modest person and I've even completely stopped telling them whenever I purchased a new component. Last weekend I overheard one of my buddies talk to another rider about me, saying that I'm just a poseur. Now that really hurts.

That got me thinking, if you're not at pro level where you can use 100 percent of your bike's performance. Aren't we all just poseurs on different levels?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
we can't tell if you're a poser until you post a pic of your bike...

but, if you've got DA parts, you probably are...

those are for pros.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
..... That got me thinking, if you're not at pro level where you can use 100 percent of your bike's performance. Aren't we all just poseurs on different levels?
Stop thinking so much! This is guys cycling for gods sake. Enjoy yourself.... enjoy being yourself. Buy your parts and ride the bike you want to ride. It sounds like the guys are really motivating you to work harder. That's what groups do best! You are a lucky man.

You won't be the chubby new guy long. Just keep cycling!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we can't tell if you're a poser until you post a pic of your bike...

but, if you've got DA parts, you probably are...

those are for pros.
Got it, so DA parts = for pros only.

A few of my buddies have various DA parts on their bikes and they are definitely not pros. Thanks for the ammunition, I'll be letting them know this info next time they call me a poseur. =)

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
you need to find some new 'friends'...ditch the jealous *ss hats and enjoy your bike.
No sh!+. Tell your so called friends to piss off.
Spend the next year riding hard then show up out of the blue for a ride and hand them their asses. I saw this happen once and it was funny as hell.

Keep pedaling. Or peddeling........ Or petaling or whatever.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Generally speaking, guys who buy the cheapest bike are usually shopping for something better within a year or two. I know guys that drive BMW, Lincoln and Porsche and I never tell them they bought too much car. We all get to the point where we want to experience some carbon fiber and some Red or Dura Ace and that is no means to call someone a poseur. When someone buys Campy Record, I admire it, takes pictures of it, stare at it... but I never call that guy any names.

Road bicycles are my passion. I don't really care what anyone says or calls me. I spend money when I want on what I want. You should too. Welcome back to cycling. May you have many great rides in your future and may the wind always be on your back...

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Jealousy is all it is. If nobody but pros rode DA, Shimano wouldn't be able to afford to make DA, so ride what you enjoy. If you can afford it, there's a lot to be said for getting a great bike right off the bat and not climbing the seemingly endless treadmill of upgrades.

Just keep riding and getting fitter. I never see the guys anymore who made snarky remarks about me when I weighed 235 and was just trying to get back into it. They can't hang with my tribe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ride and stack up enjoyable miles on your bike. I ride solo and the other day a group sneered at my spd mountain pedals and shoes. I use the same pedals on my mtb bike cause it is all I have used for the past 15 years and it works for me. They also remarked on my mtb style helmet with the visor. I don't care what they have to say because 99 percent of the cyclists I meet in my travels are just awesome people with great advice. I am new to road bikes too, and need all the help I can get. Bottom line is to have fun!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I say, keep them as friends. However, only cycle solo until your skills are good enough to join a club. Once you've joined the club, don't verbally mention it, but wear your club jersey whenever you ride.

Then one day, join them cycling (while wearing your jersey). Chat a bit, tell your "friends" that you'll meet them at the final destination, and then drop 'em! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just ride and stack up enjoyable miles on your bike. I ride solo and the other day a group sneered at my spd mountain pedals and shoes. I use the same pedals on my mtb bike cause it is all I have used for the past 15 years and it works for me. They also remarked on my mtb style helmet with the visor. I don't care what they have to say because 99 percent of the cyclists I meet in my travels are just awesome people with great advice. I am new to road bikes too, and need all the help I can get. Bottom line is to have fun!
lol. Bike snobs. They sure get around :)

I wear a mtn bike helmet as I burn easily. Every bit of shade protection helps.
Frog pedals with Lake sandals 'cause of the heat. Love 'em.

To the OP; just enjoy yourself. Riding is great fun.

·
Registered
879 Posts
you need to find some new 'friends'...ditch the jealous *ss hats and enjoy your bike.
Could be. Could be normal guy stuff - good natured (if a little unimaginative) ribbing. Impossible to tell over the internet.

Suprah, there are certainly "poseurs" who take themselves waayyy to seriously. Sometimes during a ride I find myself falling into that trap. It doesn't sound like you fall into that category, but really only you can know for sure.

To me, no matter how annoying these guys are it sounds like they are, on balance, an inspiration or a goad for you. If you re-read your post, you'll see that you are putting out a lot of effort to reach the level of fitness that this group of guys has. If that comes with some trash talking then, as long you're willing to put up with it, it might help you get more fit more quickly. I'd only dump these guys if they were starting to hurt your enjoyment of cycling.

---------------

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
It's your money, as long as you have it spend it as you please.
I'd rather see a guy wearing good quality stuff that fits him, on a ride that is clean and maintained vs. the worn out, hasn't been cleaned since who knows when.
Bottom line keep riding.
Some things don't need to be done IMO gaudy bling and radios.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Keep training... and eventually, the first time you drop them.... gloat gloat gloat.

Also, find a cycling club that you can ride with (or if the LBS where you got the bike does group rides, ride with them, learn from them).....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.