Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Dean CX bike is here. It's got about 50 miles on it already. These aren't the final specs as a pair of new Ritchey wheels and a new saddle should be in within a few weeks. The photos show my old road wheels with road tires as the bike hasn't been off road yet, maybe in a few weeks. (lack of time, not lack of desire). Most things are new except for the shifters, derailluers, saddle, seatpost,and pedals, which came off my Redline.

Dean Custom Ti Cyclocross Bike
MANUFACTURER: Dean Bikes
COLOR: Brushed Titanium
SIZE: Custom-47-ish cm
FRAME: 3.2/2 Ti
FORK: Ritchey Pro Carbon
HEADSET: Chris King Threadless-Blue
CRANK: Ritchey CX 38/48
FRONT DERAILLEUR: 105
REAR DERAILLEUR: XT 9 Speed
SHIFTERS: Shimano 105 9 Speed
GRIPS: Black Cork Tape, Generic
CASSETTE: XT 11-34 9-speed
CHAIN: Shimano 9 Speed
WHEELSET #1/TRAINING: Ultegra Hubs/Mavic Open Pro Rims
WHEELSET #2/RACE: Ritchey Deep Section WCS 16 spoke front, 24 spoke rear
TIRES: Hutchinson Gold CX, 30 mm
BRAKES: Avid Shorty 6
PEDALS: Time ATAC
HANDLEBAR: ITM, 42 cm
STEM: Visiontech Black, 70 mm
BOTTOM BRACKET: Ultegra
SEATPOST: Thompson
SADDLE: Velo, Ti Rails
COMPUTER: Cateye Eudro
TOP MOUNT LEVERS: Salsa

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to ride with my seats pretty far forward on all of my bikes, but I am probably going to move this back 1-2 cm's. I am VERY MUCH still playing with my position on the bike and am actually putting a new saddle on the bike as soon as it comes in. I think I'm probably going to wind up putting on a 90 mm stem instead of the 70 mm as well.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Sadlebred said:
I tend to ride with my seats pretty far forward on all of my bikes, but I am probably going to move this back 1-2 cm's. I am VERY MUCH still playing with my position on the bike and am actually putting a new saddle on the bike as soon as it comes in. I think I'm probably going to wind up putting on a 90 mm stem instead of the 70 mm as well.
I was always told that you need to size yer bikes for 100-120mm stems... Too much longer OR shorter = funky handling.

Between that and the amount of seatpost, I'd say someone bought too big a bike. Nice one, but big.

M

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MShaw said:
I was always told that you need to size yer bikes for 100-120mm stems... Too much longer OR shorter = funky handling.

Between that and the amount of seatpost, I'd say someone bought too big a bike. Nice one, but big.

M

Try being a 5'3" woman with no torso. :) We cannot run long stems and have 6 inches of seatpost sticking out like tall guys. I have never met a woman my height that ran a 120 mm stem. With small frames, you have to compromise tt length so that you can shoulder the bike, be conscious of toe overlap, etc. to get the right fit. I tested a bike with a smaller tt length and had problems shouldering it quickly. The triangle was just too small, and there was a lot of toe overlap. The tt is the same as on a road bike I've been riding for the past 8 years, which fits really well. (custom that I race is 1 cm shorter than the other road bike) . I have back problems and do tend to ride frames that are a bit smaller than most women my height. It works for me.

I've been racing cross for 5+ years (right, Mosovich?!), mtbs for 10+, and this bike is one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden. Granted, I need to put more time on it before race season, but I like what I see so far.

Oh, for those that don't know me, I'm a 5'3" woman....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sadlebred said:
Try being a 5'3" woman with no torso. :) We cannot run long stems and have 6 inches of seatpost sticking out like tall guys.

I have to agree. I'm 5'4 and only one of my bikes has a stem that is "normal" at 110. The funny part is that the bike with the normal length stem always feels weird when I first get on if I haven't ridden it for awhile as I'm so used to the handling characteristics of bikes with short stems.

Nice looking bike by the way!

Renee

·
Registered
690 Posts
weather said:
am i the only one who thinks that saddle is way too far forward for a custom frame?
i think it might have something to do w/ it being a flite saddle...longer than average rails on a smaller than average bike may just make it look off.

nice looking rig saddlebred! you will be rockin GA cross in style this year :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The saddle is an old Velo, which is a bit too soft to ride for much more than an hour (cloth cover w/lots of padding underneath). I have a Ritchey Preem on the way. The measurements are close to the Velo, so hopefully it will be a "saddle for me." If not, I'll probably leave the Velo on there til I find something else or maybe put a saddle similar to the Serfas I have on my mtb on the new cx bike.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :) I really like my new bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.