Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my Nikon Coolpix 4300 to a deserving soul. I liked it but there were some things that I had wished it could do better, ie quicker response (less lag in taking the pix), video clips with audio, and a bit smaller package. I really like the Nikons and I'm leaning towards a newer one, somewhere near 5 megapix. I can get one for <$225, I believe. Any other recommendations? (Jt-does this count as a mememememememe post? ;) )

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Kram59 said:
I recently sold my Nikon Coolpix 4300 to a deserving soul. I liked it but there were some things that I had wished it could do better, ie quicker response (less lag in taking the pix), video clips with audio, and a bit smaller package. I really like the Nikons and I'm leaning towards a newer one, somewhere near 5 megapix. I can get one for <$225, I believe. Any other recommendations? (Jt-does this count as a mememememememe post? ;) )
i have a canon powershot elph whatever. its a 4megapix and fits nice into a jersey pocket. it has video and all that other stuff, but i only use the diff. camera settings (black and white/sepia/etc) it does everything i want it to, and it comes in a nice small size, which is the best feature.

i think the 5 meg one is 299 right now.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Canons are high on my list, too.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Kram59 said:
im sure alot more people will chime in tomorrow, consider that nearly everyone on here has a digital camera.

i really like the canons size. the normal powershot is kinda bulky, but the elph is nice and small and dosent feel much bigger then a cell phoe when its in your pocket. if the resolution/picture quality is something your worried about, i can email you some of the pictures taken with it

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
How small are you looking to go? Are you talking small, as in Canon A610/Nikon 5600 small, or Canon SD450/Nikon S1 small? I own a Canon SD200 myself, and am pretty impressed with it. I wanted an inexpensive and tiny counterpart to my D50, and it fit the bill.

I haven't used any of Nikon's smaller cameras, but the Canons have the movie feature down pat. I can get 30fps video with sound for as long as it takes to fill up the memory card. It takes good pictures, too - the only thing I miss are Manual/Aperture Priority/Shutter Priority/Program AE modes, but those are hard to find in a mini camera.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Kram59 said:
I can't provide much input on the pocket sized ones but I do have a Canon SD20 for small pocket sized fun. Great camera but the lag is there. The pix are flawless tho. Just keep in mind that I doubt for under $225 you're going to get a camera without noticeable lag. I could be entirely wrong but I have yet to see that camera...again, I don't play in that arena much but I have alot of friends with the small-ish cams and have yet to see one that's responsive and cheap.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smaller than my 4300. Not tiny, but smaller. My 4300 shot great pics, all mine you have seen have been taken with it. Several of my in-laws have Canons and they are nice.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Kram59 said:
Mostly for snapshots and vacation photos? I'd highly recommend my Canon S-50 (now S-70). Takes great pix. Fairly compact (not as compact as the Elph though) and lots of pro-level features if you ever need them. Great camera.

Really from all I read the Canons and Nikon digitals are hard to beat.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
the only thing I miss are Manual/Aperture Priority/Shutter Priority/Program AE modes, but those are hard to find in a mini camera.
The S-50 (S70 now I think) has all that, but you may not consider it compact enough. Can shoot in RAW too if need be.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I have the Coolpix 7900.....

Kram59 said:
and it takes incredible pictures......I think the size if a good comprimise between too small and features. I'd definatly look it up and see if it meets your needs.

Len

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
Kram59 said:
I had a similar Nikon Coolpix that was several years old. Just got a Canon PowerShot SD500 Digital Elph (7.1 MP) for Christmas. It was $350 at Costco. The SD500 blows me away! It is small, fairly light, has a few manual settings, everything I want in a slick package. It is absolutely gorgeous. I still lust after this camera even though I now own it because I can't believe how awesome it is. :D

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
The S-50 (S70 now I think) has all that, but you may not consider it compact enough. Can shoot in RAW too if need be.
Yeah, I was going more for size with this camera. It's fine for what it is.

I have a crippled Canon A60 too, the precursor to the A520/610/etc series. It worked ok for a while, then developed lots of noise when its CCD crapped out. I'm waiting on a shipping label to see if it'll be covered under the free CCD replacement program on those models.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just saw a Coolpix 7600? at BJ's today for $279. Looks like a keeper. Smaller than my 4300 and 7 megapix plus a bunch of other features.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Kram59 said:
pm Von. her's is the shizznit (used it all the cyclocross weekend she was here, and i LOVED it) and it's in your $ range, on ebay.

HIGHLY recommended.

HIGHLY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts