Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,582 Posts
Not likely

The question of "if" there will be a DA triple must remain open, as Shimano can change their plans at any time and do this. However, "when" there will be a DA triple can certainly be answered "not any time soon." IIRC Shimano said "no DA triple" so until they change their mind . . .

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rumors only...

But I've heard, mostly around the rec.bicycles.tech, that there won't be a DA triple. At least not until 2005 Ultegra comes out in 10 spd, and with a triple. Even then I hear it's questionable when a DA triple comes out.

Go Kart Motzart said:
Anyone have an idea if Shimano will produce a triple for the new Dura Ace?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, but

Look at the ads and all the Dura Ace triple componets are being heavily discounted. You know what that usually means.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
Anyone have an idea if Shimano will produce a triple for the new Dura Ace?
Why do people want a triple? If you run a double and a 12-27 cassette you are only a couple of gear inches away from the triple range. The result is only one or two gears difference, plus better shifting up front with the double chainrings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not everyone is a racer...

Not everyone has racing fitness and some of us live in places with steep grades (15%+). When I first started riding I actually ran a triple with a 12-27 and I needed every gear. Now I get up the same hills in a 39X23, but I'm a heck of alot lighter and in alot better shape.

Now take a ageing club rider who has the cash for a $7000 bike. Last year that bike might have had a DA 9 triple... Whats it going to have this year?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Try to do long rides....

the triple is nice even if you're in racing fitness when you have steep climbs at mile 190...

Pierre

irmtbr said:
Why do people want a triple? If you run a double and a 12-27 cassette you are only a couple of gear inches away from the triple range. The result is only one or two gears difference, plus better shifting up front with the double chainrings.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
ever ridden a mountain climb???

Try a 10-15 mile mountain climb starting at 6000 ft altitiude and you might change your mind. Although a 27T cog certainly helps, a 30T chainring often provides THREE additonal lower gears. With the wide-spaced 12-27, only the 30/24 and 30/27 are lower than the 39/27. The 30/27 is equivalant to a 39/35, which is a LOT lower than a 39/27.

The triple also permits the use of a higher cadence, around 80 rpm instead of 60.

·
Registered
591 Posts
HaHa

irmtbr said:
Tell it to Roberto Heras.

·
Registered
269 Posts
11-23 to 12-27

If I want to switch my 11-23 Dura Ace 7800 cassette to 12-27, would I have to replace anything else in the drivetrain?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
MichaelC said:
If I want to switch my 11-23 Dura Ace 7800 cassette to 12-27, would I have to replace anything else in the drivetrain?
The cassette lock ring for the 11 cog is specific. If you buy a new Shimano 12-27 cassette it should come with a new lock ring. You won't need to replace anything else, but check the chain length to make sure it's long enough to handle the big ring to big cog combination just in case you accidentally cross chain. You don't want the rear derailleur to go all of the way to its forward limit when you shift to the 27.
~Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts