Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had tubulars before. I've always had clinchers. Back in the early days of carbon clinchers, I had a set that I delaminated and blew out both tires on a big descent...throwing me to the pavement hard. Last year, after seeing advances in carbon clincher technology k have them another and got some ENVE 6.7 clinchers. I loved them...but was always paranoid about it overheating and blowing out...so when I had an opportunity to sell them to a friend and help him out I did it.

Now, I'm buying another new set of ENVE 6.7's and I'm thinking of buying Tubular this time. With the tape available now it seems that mounting them isn't bad. Does anyone want to talk me in to or out of Tubulars? I do some road races, but mostly just ridden in spirited group rides around town and the local mountains.

I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
I won't try to talk you into or out of tubulars, that is your call and depends on a number of things like racing, training to race, willingness to take on gluing and dealing with roadside emergencies unique to tubulars. They aren't a fit for me, I don't know your style entirely but it eludes to not going the tubular route.

I will try to talk you out of the tape though. Just don't do it. Others will disagree which is fine but that's my take only based on warm and fuzzies or rather lack thereof.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I've never had tubulars before. I've always had clinchers. Back in the early days of carbon clinchers, I had a set that I delaminated and blew out both tires on a big descent...throwing me to the pavement hard. Last year, after seeing advances in carbon clincher technology k have them another and got some ENVE 6.7 clinchers. I loved them...but was always paranoid about it overheating and blowing out...so when I had an opportunity to sell them to a friend and help him out I did it.

Now, I'm buying another new set of ENVE 6.7's and I'm thinking of buying Tubular this time. With the tape available now it seems that mounting them isn't bad. Does anyone want to talk me in to or out of Tubulars? I do some road races, but mostly just ridden in spirited group rides around town and the local mountains.

I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
Some will tell you of the miracle ride of tubulars while others will tell you they can't tell the difference. I rode tubulars for 30 years, including a few years on tandems. When good quality clincher technology became established, I switched and have never looked back, so my bias is obvious. When I hear people raving about tubulars these days I'm struck by the similarity of the arguments for vinyl records. Except with tubulars there probably is a bit better ride over clinchers, as opposed to vinyl being pretty pointless. Just saying.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Read up on how to glue tubulars and change tires before you buy a set. It's a pain, especially removing a tire as you have to do when you get a flat. Instead of worrying about the rim softening you get to worry about your glue job.

To me it's not worth it. I have a set and they only get used for hillclimb races.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a pair of Edge/Enve 2.45 tubulars and a pair of Nimble Crosswind tubulars. Gluing isn't a problem if you take your time. The ride is different than clinchers since you can effectively run at lower pressures without fear of a pinch flat. I ride with an old, worn, tubular as a spare. If I get a flat, the old spare has enough glue in the base tape to adhere to the glue left on the rim. I just take it a little easier in the corners when I have the spare on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts