Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross thread from Retro forum
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=50667

There are two thoughts worth stating here that may not mean as much to the retro forum>

1. The rear hub used was not a track hub. There are dangers associated with using this type of hub with a fixed gear bike. However, I recommend the use of a rear brake, no matter how much loc-tite is applied to avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

2. On occasion, I read someone posting about not being sure they want to build a fixie up them self or just buying off the shelf. I strongly urge anyone considering a build up to do it. A fixie would be the ideal way to begin your wrenching experience.

Redishing is really easy, easy enough to do it on the bike frame, without a truing stand, though the stand is worth every penny. If you want to learn to build a wheel from scratch, I can think of no better wheel to start with.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
olds_cool said:
you gotta change that tag at the bottom of your post. the "if you find yourself coasting you must be going downhill" thing. this is the fixed forum. :)

how about....if you find yourself coasting, your threaded cog without the reverse threaded lock ring fell off...............i'm kidding.

Very good, laughed out loud at that one. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
that's a sweet lookin' ride, but......

you gotta change that tag at the bottom of your post. the "if you find yourself coasting you must be going downhill" thing. this is the fixed forum. :)

how about....if you find yourself coasting, your threaded cog without the reverse threaded lock ring fell off...............i'm kidding.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nice looking bike,

and good observations. Two points, however. The welded stem with the non-aero brake levers is a bit jarring to these retro eyes. Can't you find a nice forged Cinelli or TTT somewhere?

More significantly, it may be an illusion due to camera angle, but your chainline doesn't look that great to me. If it is really the way it looks, I'd re-space that hub back to the left a bit to get a better line, which would also allow you to reduce the reverse dish to a more nearly neutral angle.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about building. It's really fun putting a good ride together from leftover junk.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavilia said:
and good observations. Two points, however. The welded stem with the non-aero brake levers is a bit jarring to these retro eyes. Can't you find a nice forged Cinelli or TTT somewhere?

More significantly, it may be an illusion due to camera angle, but your chainline doesn't look that great to me. If it is really the way it looks, I'd re-space that hub back to the left a bit to get a better line, which would also allow you to reduce the reverse dish to a more nearly neutral angle.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about building. It's really fun putting a good ride together from leftover junk.

When I posted the chain line pic, I thought to myself that the wheel appears to be dished way off and the camera angle does make the chain look too far right as well. Just an illusion of the picture, I agree.

The stem is first on the list to go, but as you said, the fun is recycling old stuff laying around and my old Cinelli's and 3T's have long ago found homes on my better retro rides. But I got to give it up to those open faced stems, man are they easy to take on and off.

Next will be to find more of the clear brake cable housing. I forgot how much I like the look of that. The rear housing was just too poor to reuse, so I have black housing there.

Thanks for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts