Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried the new Fizik R1B shoes, and I have to say they are the most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever worn. The new design of the upper, with the 2 BOA closures really wraps the shoe around your foot and allows you to get even tension around your whole foot. I've used the R3 and these are a real step up in comfort. Sizing runs bigger than Sidi (I wear size 43 in Sidi, 42 in Fizik)

Footwear Product Photograph White Style

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have a pair of the R5's, and love everything about them except that they were a bit too snug around my toe box. They were great for shorter or less intense rides, but on longer rides or lots of sprinting/out of the saddle climbing, my toes would get sore. I finally had to stop using them because I was starting to get an ingrown toenail. =(

Too bad, I loved everything else about them, including the aesthetics....

Edit: The Boa closures on these do look like an improvement.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I have a pair of the R5's, and love everything about them except that they were a bit too snug around my toe box. They were great for shorter or less intense rides, but on longer rides or lots of sprinting/out of the saddle climbing, my toes would get sore. I finally had to stop using them because I was starting to get an ingrown toenail. =(

Too bad, I loved everything else about them, including the aesthetics....

Edit: The Boa closures on these do look like an improvement.
The R5 is nothing at all like the R1. I mean nothing at all besides the name on them. The fit is much different, the materials are much different, the construction is different and of course the insoles are much different.

I own a pair of the R1 and bought both the R3 and R5 and immediately got rid of them. The R5 was especially disappointing, no wonder they sell for like $60 now. The R5's were the lowest quality most ill fitting junk shoes I ever put on my feet. Couldn't believe that Fizik made that crap.

The new generation with the BOA enclosures are again nothing like the old ones. If you dig a little you will find that Fizik claims they had no idea what they were doing when they made the first generation. They site their ridiculously high stack height, their lack of solid heel support, their too far forward cleat mounting location, their unvented full leather upper and other issues with their first generation. They claim that they've now learned how to make a proper cycling shoe and that this generation is totally different in every aspect.

So: R5 is nothing like R1, mise well be a different brand.
First generation is nothing like second generation, mise well be a different brand.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Granted comfort is all that matter and my gripe is probably petty but: If you're going to make a leather type shoe use leather to get it's advantages. And if you're going to use synthetics use them to take advantage of what they can do and vent the fck out of the shoe reduce weight ect....don't use them just to make a shoe look leather when it isn't.
So here you get the disadvantage of both materials without the advantage of either. Again, granted, it doesn't really matter if they are comfortable.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
If you dig a little you will find that Fizik claims they had no idea what they were doing when they made the first generation. They site their ridiculously high stack height, their lack of solid heel support, their too far forward cleat mounting location, their unvented full leather upper and other issues with their first generation. They claim that they've now learned how to make a proper cycling shoe and that this generation is totally different in every aspect.
That doesn't instill much confidence in me that Fizik know what they're doing when it comes to making cycling shoes, despite what they say about "learning how to make a proper cycling shoe".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was glad to see this thread as I am looking at the Fizik shoe line. I was leaning on the R3B's. But, I can be easily swayed to go with the R1B's. They look great!

At the moment, I am using SPD pedals. I went the SPD route because I was recovering from a leg injury and explained to my LBS that I needed to be able to get my foot out quickly. I was told that the SPD's would be best for that. So, that is what I went with.

Fast forward a year or so later, I want to put more power to the pedals and thought that having a larger area to power through each stroke would help. My question is, what is the best road clip-in that is easiest to manage (again, can unclip quickly)?

I am an US 8.5 size. Should I order a size 42 from the Fizik sizing chart? I have heard that the shoes run a little smaller and that I should order a 1/2 size up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to agree on the quality of the R1(non boa) as well. The R3B fit totally different and had many issues already described well in previous comments here. Looking forward to buying the R1B, and glad to hear the positive reviews. But it's gonna be a while before I wear these R1's out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was glad to see this thread as I am looking at the Fizik shoe line. I was leaning on the R3B's. But, I can be easily swayed to go with the R1B's. They look great!

At the moment, I am using SPD pedals. I went the SPD route because I was recovering from a leg injury and explained to my LBS that I needed to be able to get my foot out quickly. I was told that the SPD's would be best for that. So, that is what I went with.

Fast forward a year or so later, I want to put more power to the pedals and thought that having a larger area to power through each stroke would help. My question is, what is the best road clip-in that is easiest to manage (again, can unclip quickly)?

I am an US 8.5 size. Should I order a size 42 from the Fizik sizing chart? I have heard that the shoes run a little smaller and that I should order a 1/2 size up.
No, I would go with a 41.5 if you are an 8.5. They run larger than sidi, similar to specialized. I wear 9 in dress shoes, 9.5 in running shoes and wear a 42 in this fizik.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tell me about the heel pad on the R1B ... I know that sounds silly, but I am extra-curious. From the photos, it looks like the heel pad is quite different from the first-gen shoes and the R3Bs. I am guessing that the heel pad is the "door jamb" shaped wedge? Is that entire wedge replaceable? No replacement part on the Fizik website yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the R5B in black. Went with a size 42 and they fit perfect. Shoes are feather light and are a big improvement over the Specialized SPD shoes I was wearing. So far, so good!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Tell me about the heel pad on the R1B ... I know that sounds silly, but I am extra-curious. From the photos, it looks like the heel pad is quite different from the first-gen shoes and the R3Bs. I am guessing that the heel pad is the "door jamb" shaped wedge? Is that entire wedge replaceable? No replacement part on the Fizik website yet.
Correct. It's a large plastic wedge thing. It's two parts, for whatever reason, but it's one big wedge. The front little bumper things are not replaceable.

So I'd like to weigh in on these shoes with lots of past Fizik R1 experience.

Currently I own every generation of R1's ever made. I've also tried out the older R3 and R5. There's three generations. I feel the first generation had a lot of good points and also several bad points. I feel the second generation is largely all bad points. I feel the third generation, which is this newest BOA generation, is the best without question.

The great thing, in my opinion, about the first generation is the sole design. The sole wraps up from the bottom up around the heel creating a very solid heel cup. Also there's very strong/pronounced arches built right into the shoe that hurt most people's feet when just standing upright. These two features sort of lock your foot into the heel and provide great support while eliminating foot forward slippage.

The second generation added some nylon venting up top and has a totally different sole and construction. They did away with the heel cup and wrapping sole. They did away with the arch support making them virtually flat and unsupportive. The cleat holes and sole shape are really weird and they bend cleats. I had to put washers under the front just to be able to clip in.

The third generation is totally new. Radical redesign. The heel cup is back but done so in a different way. The arch support is back at about 85% as pronounced. Enough to keep the foot supported and in place and prevent forward slippage but not so much as to hurt just standing. No tongue or standard upper construction at all. They took the lead of Shimano and just have two overlapping upper sides. The boa dials work flawlessly to fine tune fit. I read a review from someone saying they had foot forward slippage in these but I don't see how. Must have bought a size too big or something.

TLDR: New R1B are amazing, after trying out seemingly endless pairs of shoes I've found a winner for me personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct. It's a large plastic wedge thing. It's two parts, for whatever reason, but it's one big wedge. The front little bumper things are not replaceable.

So I'd like to weigh in on these shoes with lots of past Fizik R1 experience.

Currently I own every generation of R1's ever made. I've also tried out the older R3 and R5. There's three generations. I feel the first generation had a lot of good points and also several bad points. I feel the second generation is largely all bad points. I feel the third generation, which is this newest BOA generation, is the best without question.

The great thing, in my opinion, about the first generation is the sole design. The sole wraps up from the bottom up around the heel creating a very solid heel cup. Also there's very strong/pronounced arches built right into the shoe that hurt most people's feet when just standing upright. These two features sort of lock your foot into the heel and provide great support while eliminating foot forward slippage.

The second generation added some nylon venting up top and has a totally different sole and construction. They did away with the heel cup and wrapping sole. They did away with the arch support making them virtually flat and unsupportive. The cleat holes and sole shape are really weird and they bend cleats. I had to put washers under the front just to be able to clip in.

The third generation is totally new. Radical redesign. The heel cup is back but done so in a different way. The arch support is back at about 85% as pronounced. Enough to keep the foot supported and in place and prevent forward slippage but not so much as to hurt just standing. No tongue or standard upper construction at all. They took the lead of Shimano and just have two overlapping upper sides. The boa dials work flawlessly to fine tune fit. I read a review from someone saying they had foot forward slippage in these but I don't see how. Must have bought a size too big or something.

TLDR: New R1B are amazing, after trying out seemingly endless pairs of shoes I've found a winner for me personally.
Can you talk about the sizing on the R1B? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the black color but I'm torn with which size to choose. I don' have access to trying to the shoe on but I've tried on the R4B, R3B and R5B and I feel like 43.5, 44, 44.5 all feel pretty good. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and going with the 44. I like having some extra room so my toes don't go numb.

I'm currently wearing 44.5 (10.5US) on my Pearl Izumi road shoes. I wear 10.5 in my running shoes.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Can you talk about the sizing on the R1B? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the black color but I'm torn with which size to choose. I don' have access to trying to the shoe on but I've tried on the R4B, R3B and R5B and I feel like 43.5, 44, 44.5 all feel pretty good. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and going with the 44. I like having some extra room so my toes don't go numb.

I'm currently wearing 44.5 (10.5US) on my Pearl Izumi road shoes. I wear 10.5 in my running shoes.
Sizing is the same as previous Fizik generations. I take a 42.5 for summer and 43 for winter. As for comparisons, the 42.5 is akin to a 44 in Bont Vaypor or a 42.5/43 in Shimano (Shimano uses the same last and insoles for 42.5 and 43).

I find that extra room to prevent toe numbness is not an issue here and you should not size up because of it. I did that with my first Fizik shoes, the 43 felt good on first fit and I didn't want them too tight. Well they ended up loosening up to the point where they're now winter shoes and the 42.5 fits correctly.

Shimano 42.5 is the right size last for me but my feet go numb. Very poor strap lengths and upper design for their 42.5 dynalast shoes. These R1B do not have that issue at all. The boa dials and the design of the upper eliminated numbness for me even with the smallest size I can run.

I'd go with the 43.5 (maybe 44 but no bigger) if I were you personally. These new ones aren't leather and I don't expect them to stretch or loosen much, but I also would not want to be in a half size bigger. I'd then run the risk of heel slippage, which if you ask me is the foremost cause of toe numbness to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sizing is the same as previous Fizik generations. I take a 42.5 for summer and 43 for winter. As for comparisons, the 42.5 is akin to a 44 in Bont Vaypor or a 42.5/43 in Shimano (Shimano uses the same last and insoles for 42.5 and 43).

I find that extra room to prevent toe numbness is not an issue here and you should not size up because of it. I did that with my first Fizik shoes, the 43 felt good on first fit and I didn't want them too tight. Well they ended up loosening up to the point where they're now winter shoes and the 42.5 fits correctly.

Shimano 42.5 is the right size last for me but my feet go numb. Very poor strap lengths and upper design for their 42.5 dynalast shoes. These R1B do not have that issue at all. The boa dials and the design of the upper eliminated numbness for me even with the smallest size I can run.

I'd go with the 43.5 (maybe 44 but no bigger) if I were you personally. These new ones aren't leather and I don't expect them to stretch or loosen much, but I also would not want to be in a half size bigger. I'd then run the risk of heel slippage, which if you ask me is the foremost cause of toe numbness to begin with.

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it. I definitely didn't have any heel slippage in any of those sizes. I feel like I want to go with the 44 to be safe. The 43.5 did feel a very tiny bit narrower. But if they stretch a little they'd probably be alright. Have you tried on the R4? How do they compare? That's what I have available to me to try on and I believe it has the same last of the R1B and a similar profile.

I'm buying these through a Pro Deal for the shop I work at so I can't return/exchange sizes, so I need to get this right lol

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I have not tried any other of the new boa ones besides the R1B.

Before the boa generation the versions were very different. Different lasts, uppers, insoles, construction, materials, everything. So the R5 and R3 are nothing at all like the R1.

This new generation is probably different. The R3B and R4B and R5B could be similar to the R1B, I just don't know. The previous generation was so far off that I didn't even look at anything below the R1B. Basically speaking the previous R5 was the worst quality cycling shoe I've ever put on my feet, a disgrace to the company if you ask me. So that ruined anything lower than R1B for me, not worth my time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not tried any other of the new boa ones besides the R1B.

Before the boa generation the versions were very different. Different lasts, uppers, insoles, construction, materials, everything. So the R5 and R3 are nothing at all like the R1.

This new generation is probably different. The R3B and R4B and R5B could be similar to the R1B, I just don't know. The previous generation was so far off that I didn't even look at anything below the R1B. Basically speaking the previous R5 was the worst quality cycling shoe I've ever put on my feet, a disgrace to the company if you ask me. So that ruined anything lower than R1B for me, not worth my time.

Gotcha! Have your R1B stretched a little? Your comment regarding too big a shoe being main cause for toe numbness is really interesting because I think my Pearl Izumi's might be too big and I never thought of that being the reason for toe numbness. So I'm wondering if maybe the 43.5 is the way to go, if they stretch a little.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Gotcha! Have your R1B stretched a little? Your comment regarding too big a shoe being main cause for toe numbness is really interesting because I think my Pearl Izumi's might be too big and I never thought of that being the reason for toe numbness. So I'm wondering if maybe the 43.5 is the way to go, if they stretch a little.
I don't think so. The boa system is really the tits though and can go from totally loose to too tight in itty bitty micro adjustments. And the way they designed the two ratchets or their location or whatever really works well. I've never been able to fine tune laces or velcro or ratchet straps like I can with these. You can put little marks on the wires too so you know where to start off next ride.

I'm guessing Shimano and Pearl use a similar sizing system seeing how they're the same company. I barely fit into a 42.5 from them but this Fizik is roomy/perfect for me. A 43 in Shimano fits me well but the Fizik 43 feels a size too large. I'd for sure go at least a half size smaller than the Pearl you have now and if those feel a touch big a whole size.

I do notice that they feel looser when riding than they do walking around or sitting in them. The material does seem to warm up maybe and then give better. Not too sure there but another point on getting the smaller size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think so. The boa system is really the tits though and can go from totally loose to too tight in itty bitty micro adjustments. And the way they designed the two ratchets or their location or whatever really works well. I've never been able to fine tune laces or velcro or ratchet straps like I can with these. You can put little marks on the wires too so you know where to start off next ride.

I'm guessing Shimano and Pearl use a similar sizing system seeing how they're the same company. I barely fit into a 42.5 from them but this Fizik is roomy/perfect for me. A 43 in Shimano fits me well but the Fizik 43 feels a size too large. I'd for sure go at least a half size smaller than the Pearl you have now and if those feel a touch big a whole size.

I do notice that they feel looser when riding than they do walking around or sitting in them. The material does seem to warm up maybe and then give better. Not too sure there but another point on getting the smaller size.
Thanks for all the info! I just spoke with my rep, and he said the same thing your saying. And luckily he's my size in another brand and he wears the 43.5 for the Fizik, so I think I'm going to go with that.

I'll update once I get them!

·
Registered
442 Posts
From the original series I have the R1 in black and also a pair in white. In the white ones I like the synthetic material on one side, vs the full leather of the black.
For winter riding since they have no vents, they work great. The high arches are indeed an issue for some riders. I got lucky as they fit me well. I also have the R3SL, I have not tried the R3 so I don't know how similar are they, but I don't have any issues with them. I think the R3SL can be found still on the market for very good prices.

I look forward to trying the third gen in the future, but for now I am covered with the mentioned above and a pair of Sidi wire. I will definitely skip the 2nd gen, based on MMs feedback. Curious MMs did you try the R3SL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.