Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings

I am new at this, apologies. I just ordered my first replacement set of tyres from internet (700*23C folding) which are due to arrive soon. I know how to replace a tube (too many flats!) but I have never replaced a tyre.

These are new Michelin Carbon Krylion(?) folding tyres that I bought. Are there any tips or techniques for replacing 700*23C folding tyres? Do I need to replace the rim tape too? Wheels are Bontrager Race-X-Lite on 2005 Madone 5.9. Do I need any kind of powder to spray inside the tyre first? Any special tools or just tyre levers? Anything else?

Thanks

· Registered
8,116 Posts
You might need levers- particularly for new tires. Open tubulars usually recommend against them, but your should be fine with Michelins. If you can change a tube, you can change a tire. I recommend inspecting the rim tape, wiping out the inside of the rim- but you should not need new tape. You should not need any powder, either.

If you are relatively new to this, be careful not to pinch the tube between the tire and the bead.

I recommend lining up the labels with the valve stem- and on fancy tires with the label on only one side, make sure it is drive side--- else the style police will arrest you.

acid_rider said:
greetings

I am new at this, apologies. I just ordered my first replacement set of tyres from internet (700*23C folding) which are due to arrive soon. I know how to replace a tube (too many flats!) but I have never replaced a tyre.

These are new Michelin Carbon Krylion(?) folding tyres that I bought. Are there any tips or techniques for replacing 700*23C folding tyres? Do I need to replace the rim tape too? Wheels are Bontrager Race-X-Lite on 2005 Madone 5.9. Do I need any kind of powder to spray inside the tyre first? Any special tools or just tyre levers? Anything else?

Thanks

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Talc

There's no big tricks - if you changed a tube then you were most of the way there. On a new tire, talcum powder really can help things slide into place, so it makes both the installation and the seating of the tire into the rim go much better. The reason to put the tire label at the valve hole is so that you can easily find the cause of flat tire, like a piece of glass or thorn in the tire as you know where the flat cause is located once you find the hole in the tube.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.