Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a carbon fiber fork on my touring bike but I want to put panniers on the front. The guy at the LBS suggested a Surly fork. I don't have a problem with this but I can't help but wonder if theres any other choices. I'm also concerned about ride quality as I've been on carbon forks for the last 10 years. I've gone with a little wider tire (32's) and I'll run these a little low on pressure if I need to. Any other hints?

· Registered
116 Posts
With regard to road feel/comfort, I just recently switched from CF fork to a steel Salsa fork. Now, there's a couple things that might account for this fact, but I can't feel a difference between the two forks. The things that changed are: more offset which works since it's axle to crown is longer on the new steel fork; and I was able to raise my handlebar a bunch - which is absolutely amazing. Since I'm more upright now and the wheel is a tad further out in front with the change in offset, that could be making the ride seem just as smooth as my CF fork, but who knows.

In any event, going to the wider tires will give you a way more comfortable ride compared to anything you do to the rest of the bike. Very wise choice.

· Registered
2,490 Posts
I have allready done this switch earlier this year, and i an completely happy with the surly fork blackburn front rack combo i installed. All in all i dont miss the carbon fork a bit, the surly fork is that good.

Bill

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmsmith said:
I have a near new "Cr-Mo" steel fork, 1-1/8" steerer, 45-degree rake, 57-mm long reach caliper, and it has pannier rack eyelets on the fork legs. Send me an email here at RBR, and it's yours; USPS shipping is on me too!
It won't let me email you but my email is: Mountainbiker52atYahoo.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.