Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am 5'9" 175 pounds with a 30.5 inseam ( long torso! ). I currently ride a 54cm Raleigh R700 that I feel is too big for me. I am considering getting a 02 Jamis Comet 51cm. Any thoughts? I am guessing the frame size will fit me better, but what about the quality between the two. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'd be careful about going that small.

It's not that a 51 couldn't fit a 5'9" person, it's just that it seems likely that it's on the small side. I'm not doing a blind internet fit thing here: by all means, if you know that this size works for you than it does. And if somebody who knows what's up, and has been able to see you on this bike (maybe before or after taking measurements) confirms this fit, then I'm not sure I have a real argument. But (a) I'd get that inseam measurement checked by somebody else, to hard contact, and (b) I'd wonder about more than vertical fit, even if the inseam really is that short. Fitting only on the basis of one's inseam can create all sorts of problems. For one thing, focusing on an idealized seat tube can point you to a screwy top tube length (especially--but not only--if your proportions are a bit off the norm). Off by a cm or even two? You might still be perfectly happy with the bike's handling if you change the stem length by a cm or two. Off by four or five? Much more likely to be a problem.

I'd recommend finding some good, local, in-person fit advice. Also, if the current bike seems like a bit of a stretch, why not just try a stem that's shorter by a cm or two before chucking the bike?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
rocklax said:
First off I am 5'9" 175 pounds with a 30.5 inseam ( long torso! ). I currently ride a 54cm Raleigh R700 that I feel is too big for me. I am considering getting a 02 Jamis Comet 51cm. Any thoughts? I am guessing the frame size will fit me better, but what about the quality between the two. Thanks for any help.
According to the Jamis website, their 2004 frames are measured center to top of the seat tube. A 51cm would be very small. My inseam is 30.5" also but I'm only 5'7" and it would be too small for me. It's hard to give fit advise over the internet but I think a 51cm center to top of seattube would be too small for you.

What do mean when you say the Raleigh feels too big? Is it standover height?

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave Hickey said:
According to the Jamis website, their 2004 frames are measured center to top of the seat tube. A 51cm would be very small. My inseam is 30.5" also but I'm only 5'7" and it would be too small for me. It's hard to give fit advise over the internet but I think a 51cm center to top of seattube would be too small for you.

What do mean when you say the Raleigh feels too big? Is it standover height?
When I am on my Raleigh without shoes I am pretty much on my toes to keep from more or less sitting on my top tube. Even in my carnac's I just BARLEY clear the tube. I also have felt since day 1 with this frame that my cornering has been horrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts