Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Colnago road bike (around 20 yrs old) and I would like to swap the components (good dura ace, 7 speed cog, 2 chain rings) onto a cyclocross frame so I can ride on fire roads and in the city. I think I may have a problem because I think the BB and headset measurements are old (not sure exactly but comon for older italian road bikes; my LBS knew it right away but I've forgotten). Anybody know what kind of cyclocross frame to look for? I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam. I haven't found a frame smaller than 50 cm but I think I'm supposed to have a 47 or 48. I need help matching my components with a good small frame. (The colnago frame is too big on me, 57)

Thanks

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
fire roads, city... do you need a cx race bike? first thing that comes to mind in the ubiquitous cross check or something similar (soma, salsa, etc). they come pretty small 46 and 42, but keep in mind the sloping top tube. you'll likely need a new HS (and stem), BB, canti brakes. you might want bar end shifters rather than dt. you'll have to check fd mount, braze or clamp and clamp size... and also rear spacing, but not a huge deal

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Dude, you're 5' 5" and ride a 57??? I'm 5' 8" and ride a 52cm. My buddy is 5' 10 and rides a 55cm.

The bottom bracket on your Colnago is going to be Italian threaded, 70mm shell width, right-hand threads on both sides. Most bikes, even some Italian ones, have English bottom brackets these days. English BBs are 68mm wide and have left-hand threads on the drive side and right-hand threads on the non-drive side.

So, how are you going to move those parts over to a new frame? CX bikes normally have bosses for cantilever studs so you'll need new brakes. You'll need a new bottom bracket to go with those cranks. Most everything else should swap right over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squidward said:
Dude, you're 5' 5" and ride a 57??? I'm 5' 8" and ride a 52cm. My buddy is 5' 10 and rides a 55cm.

The bottom bracket on your Colnago is going to be Italian threaded, 70mm shell width, right-hand threads on both sides. Most bikes, even some Italian ones, have English bottom brackets these days. English BBs are 68mm wide and have left-hand threads on the drive side and right-hand threads on the non-drive side.

So, how are you going to move those parts over to a new frame? CX bikes normally have bosses for cantilever studs so you'll need new brakes. You'll need a new bottom bracket to go with those cranks. Most everything else should swap right over.
Yeah I know it's big. It looks like I praising Alah everytime I reach for the brakes. Thats why I want to get a new frame. The parts I have on the roadie are nice so I'd like to put them on the new frame (dura ace components). I don't know what you call the type of brakes I have; they scissor down on the rim and are both fit together with one top bolt that runs through the frame.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i picked up a surly a few years ago, and found it easiest to grab a new set of components off ebay... i picked up full 105 with wheels for 450 shipped off ebay... keep an eye out, that may be easiest... just a thought as with that bike, i had planned to build with existing parts, saw that deal and couldnt pass it up... put the whole thing together for about $900, all new...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think your best bet for frame sizing is to try some frames out but, thats not what you asked about and I will assume that you are able to figure that out.
So...
To switch the parts over you will need a new BB(the part that makes the cranks spin), new headset (part that makes the bars spin) and a new stem because most modern forks have attachment methods where the stem goes over the fork as opposed to into it. The shifters that you have are separate from the brakes levers I assume and are likely on the downtube. A lot of modern frames do not have attachments for these. New brakes will also be nessecary becuase of the wider clearances on cross frames a different more mtb style is needed. To accomdate this style the brakes are two separate arms each atached to the bike by a bolt near the rim.
Sounds like a lengthy project but could be really fun if you take the time and do it right. Make sure you have an idea of the budget you want to stick to ahead of time, it can easily creep up.
Good Luck!
edit:
scratch that, you did ask about frames as well-
try different sizes out and see which one feels best. Soma, Surly and Salsa each make a pretty resonably priced frame that you can commute on and will have clearances to run knobbier tires. Also check out nashbar and performance, may not be the blingest set up but the bikes sure are cheap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seahuston said:
I think your best bet for frame sizing is to try some frames out but, thats not what you asked about and I will assume that you are able to figure that out.
So...
To switch the parts over you will need a new BB(the part that makes the cranks spin), new headset (part that makes the bars spin) and a new stem because most modern forks have attachment methods where the stem goes over the fork as opposed to into it. The shifters that you have are separate from the brakes levers I assume and are likely on the downtube. A lot of modern frames do not have attachments for these. New brakes will also be nessecary becuase of the wider clearances on cross frames a different more mtb style is needed. To accomdate this style the brakes are two separate arms each atached to the bike by a bolt near the rim.
Sounds like a lengthy project but could be really fun if you take the time and do it right. Make sure you have an idea of the budget you want to stick to ahead of time, it can easily creep up.
Good Luck!
edit:
scratch that, you did ask about frames as well-
try different sizes out and see which one feels best. Soma, Surly and Salsa each make a pretty resonably priced frame that you can commute on and will have clearances to run knobbier tires. Also check out nashbar and performance, may not be the blingest set up but the bikes sure are cheap.
Hey thanks a lot. I was hoping to be able to keep my BB, headset and tranny but it seems like it's not going to happen. The most I'll be able to transfer over will be the tranny (by the posts I've read here). But my front D bolts on to a post so that will have to be replaced as well. Brakes won't be too much and the BB can be bought at a reasonable price. I just wonder if my dinner plate chain rings and 7 spd cog is going to murder me on the hills. I may be better off buying a cyclocross bike. I saw a Nashbar frame with a carbon fork for 300 bucks, 4 lbs. Anybody think that's a good deal? I'd like it to be more of a road bike with some off road ability and a little more cushion (fat carbon fork)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.