Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a new frame shortly and I will also be competing in tri's and some small road races and also tours. I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction for a frame that could multi task for these 3 types. What I am considering at the moment is a USED Sworks E5 frame/fork, a used Allez Elite frame/fork, and the Cannondale IRONMAN frame/fork. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Thanks

Marshall

·
The Right Wing
871 Posts
They all sound good for the type of riding you plan to do. If anything, thay are all a little stiff for touring, but if you are big enough (I'm 160 and OK on an E-5) that should not be a problem.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
marshall21205 said:
I'm going to be getting a new frame shortly and I will also be competing in tri's and some small road races and also tours. I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction for a frame that could multi task for these 3 types. What I am considering at the moment is a USED Sworks E5 frame/fork, a used Allez Elite frame/fork, and the Cannondale IRONMAN frame/fork. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Thanks

Marshall
I have a feeling that touring and road racees would kind of suck on the IRONMAN, correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that they have a steep seat tube and head tube, so harsh ride and really quick, twitchy steering... not what i would want for touring, and for any race over an hour i might find that stressful, especially riding in a peloton, where a quick little twitch could take down a couple guys, my nerves would be dead.

but if you want to do tris and not too much road racing/touring, you're fine with the ironman i think. TT's and Tris would be just fine with the other two as well, though they might not have that +10 second or whatever advantage of the ironman. One other thing to consider is that if it's a Tri Frame/fork it may be designed for aerobars and basebars only, such that sticking a normal handlebar on it could be uncomfortable. don't quote me, i'm not sure. i just know that aerobars and basebars on normal road bikes dont tend to work well, so there's definite differences in geometry.
-estone2

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cervelo Soloist

marshall21205 said:

Thanks

Marshall
The Cerevelo Soloist frames were made for that exact kind of thing. You can find them on e-bay all of the time. Great tri bike and a great road bike, all in one package.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.