Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
soman
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just received my new frame today in the mail. When I ordered the frame I asked the vendor if they could face and chase the bottom bracket shell for me prior to shipping it. I don't want to have to take it to a LBS to have it done when I receive the frame. My question is, how can I tell that they've done this? What do I look for in the shell itself to see if they've chased it? I don't want to start building the bike until I know it's been done. Some of you might say that this isn't necessary. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
soman said:
Hello all. I just received my new frame today in the mail. When I ordered the frame I asked the vendor if they could face and chase the bottom bracket shell for me prior to shipping it. I don't want to have to take it to a LBS to have it done when I receive the frame. My question is, how can I tell that they've done this? What do I look for in the shell itself to see if they've chased it? I don't want to start building the bike until I know it's been done. Some of you might say that this isn't necessary. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are.
If it's been done, it should look like these - no paint over spray, clean threads with no metal chips/ fragments:
View attachment 202230

View attachment 202231

·
Registered
591 Posts
Chase - use a threading tool to re-cut the existing threads - done right, you don't really cut new threads, just cut all the paint, weld/solder slpats, dripped epoxy, etc. out of the threads. Really just a clean-up job.

Face - see, in JP352' pics, how the face of the BB is shiny? they used a cutting tool to cut a bit of the face of the BB shell, makes the face smooth and square.

Both done right make it easier to mount the BB. If the face is not square/flat, or the threads are buggered up, you will never get the BB installed "right"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.