Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I had been approached to possibly be a distributor for their product:

http://www.roibikeusa.com/

yes, they look nice, a little pricey but the only place I find them is on Ebay.
Anyone ever 'seen' one up close and personal?

How about riden?

Any pro squads using?

ANY feedback appreciated...

· Registered
610 Posts
disclaimer:
I don't work for ROI or any affiliated company. I just ride the brand.

I own a Syrio.

Very impressive build quality and I was extremely surprised at the ride characteristics. Now, I consider myself to be a fairly aggressive rider and as such, my impressions of the frame are bound to be different than other types of riders. Having said that, the frame has given me no reason to doubt my purchase at all. Frame is stiff and it responds very well to rider input. Corners are exceptional. Climbs well. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it doesn't embarass itself.(I know I do)

I was a bit hesitant to purchase an "unknown" brand via the internet but I had no problems dealing with ROI and have had no issues with the frame thusfar(purchased in February of '06 and ridden roughly 1500 miles since the purchase)

I'll try and snap some photos of mine and post them.

Brad.

EDIT:

Geometry tables for each frame are available as a .pdf file on each page. Just went to look myself and found them.

· Registered
228 Posts
None of their current US "distributors" is a regular cycling industry distributor. There are much better ways for them to distribute their product here. The fact that they are choosing to do so in this manner would raise some concerns for me.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
If you don't know what you are doing; don't do it.

It is really easy to lose your shirt in the bike business even if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are getting into.......:eek:

· Registered
9 Posts
Distribution Reinvented...

HeronTodd said:
None of their current US "distributors" is a regular cycling industry distributor. There are much better ways for them to distribute their product here. The fact that they are choosing to do so in this manner would raise some concerns for me.
DISCLAIMER: I AM A CURRENT ROI DISTRIBUTOR AND PROUD OF IT :)

I am a current ROI Distributor. The distribution approach that ROI USA is using to promote and sell their frames is indeed unique. It is VERY GRASS ROOTS. But it seems to be working quite well. The way they promote their frames is by helping us Distributors get on a real ROI Bikes. Then when we ride and race them we generate BUZZ and INTEREST in the brand. So far this year, they have sold over 300+ frames in the USA alone. Not too bad for being so small and not going the traditional distribution route.

The company has been around for 9 years in Italy. The Owners are all Italian ex-pro racers. They sell a lot of bikes in Europe and are now offering their frames in the USA thru this unique distribution channel. I first laid my eyes on ROI and Zefiro Components at EuroBike and Interbike a few years ago. [See PEZ Cycling News and seach for "Zefiro" See what they have to say about their components] They have incredible frames and components. Impressive build quality and even more impressive ride quality. For this reason I purchased a Monster Full Carbon Frame for myself and requested to Distribute the ROI brand here in the states.

So far I have sold 23 frames between the local shops that I do business with. Each person who has purchased a frame has nothing but great things to say about their bike.

There are OTHER ways to distribute product in volume vs. going thru traditional distrbution channels like Hawleys, Red Rose Imports, BTI etc.. [I used to work for Hawleys and they don't give every product the attention it deserves. GREAT PRODUCTS get lost in the Catalog] Heck...it worked for Cliff Bar. And its working for ROI too. I believe the GRASS ROOTS aproach is the best way to go for this small special bike company. I suggest signing up as a Distributor for your area so you can see what I mean. The USA Office is really good to deal with and they always take good care of my orders. I think you will really be pleased. I have no doubt that I am selling nothing but high quality handmade Italian works of art. Like the other Poster said, "the Bike does not embarrass itself". ROI will run with the best in the industry -- no problem.

· Registered
30 Posts
I haven't seen them (and I work in the peloton in Europe) But velocampyproducer , you can change that, I am looking for a sponsor for a national selection (currently UCI top 5 ranked) for 2007. I am serious, and of course not only interested in freebees.

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
abdou said:
I haven't seen them (and I work in the peloton in Europe) But velocampyproducer , you can change that, I am looking for a sponsor for a national selection (currently UCI top 5 ranked) for 2007. I am serious, and of course not only interested in freebees.

Ah yes, it wouldn't be a shady thread without a brand no one has heard of and a bunch of people with [almost] no previous posts. They don't seem like terrible bikes but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on them or carry them in my store.

· Registered
610 Posts
awesometown said:
Ah yes, it wouldn't be a shady thread without a brand no one has heard of and a bunch of people with [almost] no previous posts. They don't seem like terrible bikes but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on them or carry them in my store.

Eh, since this seems to be directed towards me I'll respond as such.

I use this forum as a knowledge base(albeit a very basic one)

I don't post for that exact reason.

Having worked in the industry for the better part of the last decade I find sites this this invaluable for gathering information about what people are into and what kind of technology has made an impression(or not made an impression)

I bought my frame simply because it fit my riding style and I had no desire to purchase a cookie cutter frame.

Call it "shady" if you want....

I simply saw an opportunity to offer up my unsolicited opinion about a product that I ride.

That's what we're all here for, right?

Yeah. That's what I thought......

· Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't know anything about their bikes, so I won't comment on them. It's certainly possible they are very nice.

Trackman, you asked about becoming a rep. One concern with a small outfit is insurance. Let's say you sell one and it breaks (a reasonable assumption regardless of brand). Are you covered from liability? Do you have to pay for this yourself?

Are you going to eat the cost of shipping on any products with warranty issues? There are a lot of little issues like that you need to think about before you jump in to something like this.

· Registered
9 Posts
abdou said:
All Sponsored Teams have submitted a RESUME to the company. We NEVER give our frames away for FREE. All Teams pay for their Frames needed for the season. =) Feel free to contact ROIBIKEUSA.com with your Team Resume. I know they would love to help any way that they can. :)

· Registered
9 Posts
euro-trash said:
I don't know anything about their bikes, so I won't comment on them. It's certainly possible they are very nice.

Trackman, you asked about becoming a rep. One concern with a small outfit is insurance. Let's say you sell one and it breaks (a reasonable assumption regardless of brand). Are you covered from liability? Do you have to pay for this yourself?

Are you going to eat the cost of shipping on any products with warranty issues? There are a lot of little issues like that you need to think about before you jump in to something like this.
ROI Covers everything when it comes to warranty issues. And they have never had a frame "break" that has been reported. :) I guess that's the beauty of an Italian handmade frame. The quality and longevity is outstanding. There is very little risk for a Distributor, Shop, or Dealer when selling a bike brand. Ultimate liability is placed on the manufacturer of the product. I know this because my Brother is a Corporate Attorney and he gave me the thumbs up with ROI when I became a Distributor since I had the same concerns before I started. :)

· 100% torqued
766 Posts
velocampyproducer said:
ROI Covers everything when it comes to warranty issues. And they have never had a frame "break" that has been reported. :) I guess that's the beauty of an Italian handmade frame. The quality and longevity is outstanding. There is very little risk for a Distributor, Shop, or Dealer when selling a bike brand. Ultimate liability is placed on the manufacturer of the product. I know this because my Brother is a Corporate Attorney and he gave me the thumbs up with ROI when I became a Distributor since I had the same concerns before I started. :)

Your brother is a bad attorney. If someone was to have an accident on a ROI frame you sold and felt it was a manufacturing defect, or an assembly defect or even if they simply felt like doing so they could sue all involved parties. The manufacturer may not have been diligent in welding or bonding the frame, The dealer may not have assembled it correctly, if the dealer let the end buyer build it themselves they may may have been negligent in providing in proper specs for safe assembly. The distributor may be negligent in selling to anyone claiming they have the necessary knowledge to safely assemble the bike without checking the claim. You sue all involved parties you can put a case together against and attempt to get the compensation the client deserves. Just because it is Italian doesn't mean it is a superior product. That is a worn out gross generalization. Any frame from any manufacturer can fail. The goal is to reduce this chance to zero but there is always a chance. There is no magic formula for building a bike owned by the Italians, or anyone for that matter.

As far as liability goes there was a shop owner who lost it all because a customer of his was hit riding at night without lights and killed. He had the reflectors required by law but not lights. He eventually lost the shop just from the cost of defending the case.

Good luck in the real world. You'll be there soon enough.

· Registered
9 Posts
bwana said:
Actually, looking at the large picture of the MONSTER ALU ULTRA-LIGHT on their website, the downtube to headtube weld looks awful, perhaps even like they missed.
If you look closely at the welds...they are spot on. Actually they are nearly perfect according to some experts. You have to ride one to know the difference between Handmade and Taiwan Mass Production. This frame in particular is one of the best I have ridden. It is an amazingly fast and comfortable ride. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.