Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Ibis Sonoma steel frame (58cm). The last of the "Sebastopol-built" Ibises before they outsourced production to Carl Strong.

Most of the drivetrain is early 90's NOS Suntour Superbe Pro 8. The shifters are new DA downtubes set in friction mode. The rear cassette and chain are SRAM PC-8 eight speed. Brakes were scavanged off an old and barely used Specialized--they are Shimano RX100. The crankset is a Stronglight set mounted on 48/38 rings.

The headset is Campy Record. The fork is a closeout Easton EC-30 I got for about $80. The bars are Profile Stokers I had lying around, and the stem is a leftover Ritchey WCS. The seatpost is Nashbar's Thompson knock-off ($25) and the saddle is an old Supergo thingie I had lying around (I'm thinking about going for something in white).

The wheels are my old DA/Open Pro's, and the tires are Vredstein Volantes.

The pedals are Crank Brothers Candies that I ebay'ed.

With this set-up you can sit damn-near bolt upright, or you can get low by riding out on the cowhorns. All told, I'm very happy so far, although I have yet to take her out for a long ride (50+ miles).

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Nice, but too many gears

A fun-sounding project with a great-looking result. The frame color is close to the red of the NIshiki from my college days. I think OldEd would approve of the drivetrain... I do miss that guy...

But Scott, Scott, Scott... all those gears... There are 15 more than you really need. All the triathlon gearheading as gotten to you. There's nothing like a few hundred miles of fixed-gear riding to give a tri-rider a picture-perfect spin. Reduce, simplify, and enjoy.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good point indeed.

I thought long and hard about going the fixed route, either via a chain tensioner or with ENO hubs. In the end, the allure of Suntour was too great to resist. I'm only sorry I didn't buy a set of NOS cranks from Rivendell (although I dig the Stronglights). In the end, this will be my commuter/lazy Sunday afternoon spinner and occassional century rig.

The other post and subsequent threads with the Kogswell, however, have me thinking about my next project....fixed of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts