Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new pair of Fulcrum Racings 1 last week and only have tried them a couple of times and I like them so far, the only question I have is with the hubs. They do not seem as smooth as my 2003 Ksyrium SL's. When you spin the wheels in your hands they don't feel as nice at the Mavics. Is it because they need more break in time?

Thanks for your help...

This is a pick on the wheels on my De Rosa.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Yup. They have cones, cups and bearings. They'll loosen with a bit of use.

You'll notice that you can adjust the cones while the wheel is clamped, that way you can compensate for the compression of the QRs on the axle. Give them a checkup by loosening them until you get play at the rim, and then tighten until play disappears. This is campy stuff at its best.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Barneyhead123 said:
I got a new pair of Fulcrum Racings 1 last week and only have tried them a couple of times and I like them so far, the only question I have is with the hubs. They do not seem as smooth as my 2003 Ksyrium SL's. When you spin the wheels in your hands they don't feel as nice at the Mavics. Is it because they need more break in time?

Thanks for your help...

This is a pick on the wheels on my De Rosa.
Just ride 'em. Spinning them in your hands tells you nothing about how the bearings function. The bearings are designed to work under a load, and when you spin the wheels in your hand, the bearings are not under that load, i.e. rider weight + bike weight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Campy packs their hub bearings with a ton of grease, so it takes some time before it spreads out. I have been told by a couple of friends they attach an electric drill to the hub spindle and make it turn for a few minutes to accelerate the break-in process. Never tried it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.