Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hands-on with Garmin's new Edge 820 with mapping

So garmin is going to release a new head unit. The 820 has a lot of features that would work so well for group rides and mapping.

Highlights
Here’s precisely what’s new on the Edge 820 (and if it’s found on other Garmin units):
– Adds in Group Tracking (stalking your friends)
– Contains full/detailed mapping/routing (like Edge 1000)
– Contains 8GB of internal storage (no micro-SD card slot though)
– Adds in phone-based audio prompts (like Garmin wearables)
– Adds in Incident/Emergency Detection/Notifications (like Edge Explore 1000)
– Adds in new Stress Score (seen on wearables)
– Has WiFi (on Edge 1000, but not Edge 520)
– Has a touch screen (like Edge 1000)
– Has a cool new ‘Battery Save mode’ (never seen before)

Bicycle accessory Technology Camera accessory Gadget Cameras & optics

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Looks ideal indeed. 8GB of internal storage eh and no SD card. That means you get 4GB or less usable storage with the default mapset(s) and POIs installed. It also means you cannot install other regional mapsets outside of the retail market you are in.

Maybe in 1-2 years it will be stable and usable.

·
Registered
20,783 Posts
Looks like it's got some interesting new features. I'm surprised they made it the same size as the 520. I love my 520 and the size of it, but many people prefer a larger screen. Now there's no size option between the small 520 & huuuge 1000.

Looks ideal indeed. 8GB of internal storage eh and no SD card. That means you get 4GB or less usable storage with the default mapset(s) and POIs installed.
Where do you get that?
"With the Edge 820 it uses the internal fully detailed mapset that’s found on the 8GB of internal storage (it still has 6.1GB free though)."

It also means you cannot install other regional mapsets outside of the retail market you are in.
How do you know that?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Looks like it's got some interesting new features. I'm surprised they made it the same size as the 520. I love my 520 and the size of it, but many people prefer a larger screen. Now there's no size option between the small 520 & huuuge 1000.

Where do you get that?
"With the Edge 820 it uses the internal fully detailed mapset that’s found on the 8GB of internal storage (it still has 6.1GB free though)."

How do you know that?
Ah damn, my eyes scrolled past that bit. I was figuring it based on what City Navigator and the like eat up in space needs and assuming half the device memory was eaten up at empty stock.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Interesting that the unit size is essentially same as 520. I wonder when a larger size unit update will come out (probably a 1000s number?).

PS I love this initial description from DC Rainmaker:
"...the Edge 820 is basically an Edge 520 and Edge 1000 that’s had a baby that’s smarter than both of them."

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The size of the 520/510 i feel is the perfect size for gps head units. Its visible but doesn't impede. At a glance all the screen is readable and clear.

track feature looks like a great addition.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The size of the 520/510 i feel is the perfect size for gps head units. Its visible but doesn't impede. At a glance all the screen is readable and clear.

Not having the greatest eyesight, I like the larger unit. I can't see myself "downsizing". If find it interesting that Garmin was so mum of there being an 820 and now its available to order all of a sudden. Like many have already said, I would be hesitant of being an early adopter because of Garmin's history of putting out buggy initial releases. I also wish they would add an SD slot but I guess they learned from Apple that not having one adds an obsolescence path.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looks like a great little unit! I love my Edge 1000, but this device looks nifty!

Hands-on with Garmin's new Edge 820 with mapping

– Adds in Group Tracking (stalking your friends)
This really got my attention because the other day I was on a group ride where everyone was a little scattered and (God help them all) I was the most experienced rider, so I ended up sort of unofficially appointed the guy who kept the group together, which meant bouncing back and forth between the front riders and the rear, since I was the only one with a cycling computer and the course programmed into it.

It occurred to me that it would awesome to have a device or app that could have some sort of private map where all riders in a group could be located at any time using the GPS either in the phone or the cycling computer. Particularly when there are areas in a course with a lot of twists and turns.

So this is a great feature. I was a little annoyed initially that this is the only Garmin with the feature, but apparently it is coming to the Edge 1000 in a future update.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So apparently only the 820 (and at some point 1000) can see friends, but any device with live tracking can be seen. So older units like the 810, 510, and 520 would still be displayed.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Looks like a great little unit! I love my Edge 1000, but this device looks nifty!

This really got my attention because the other day I was on a group ride where everyone was a little scattered and (God help them all) I was the most experienced rider, so I ended up sort of unofficially appointed the guy who kept the group together, which meant bouncing back and forth between the front riders and the rear, since I was the only one with a cycling computer and the course programmed into it.

It occurred to me that it would awesome to have a device or app that could have some sort of private map where all riders in a group could be located at any time using the GPS either in the phone or the cycling computer. Particularly when there are areas in a course with a lot of twists and turns.

So this is a great feature. I was a little annoyed initially that this is the only Garmin with the feature, but apparently it is coming to the Edge 1000 in a future update.
Would have been a nice feature this year on Tour de Nebraska....aside from the fact that where we were there was zero cellular data service and barely any voice service either.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Oh, yes, perfect! Now we can have people on bikes staring at their screens more often, just like all the people in the cars.

And on group rides, too! Woohoo!

:eek:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh, yes, perfect! Now we can have people on bikes staring at their screens more often, just like all the people in the cars.

And on group rides, too! Woohoo!

:eek:
Yeah, I think the ship has long since sailed on that the moment people decided to create things like segments, cycling computers, heart rate monitors speed sensors, cadence sensors, Strava, and MapMyRide.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Nice features, but I lose the larger screen. I can't find a compelling reason to want to 'upgrade'. Map feature looks nice, as is the "help I've fallen and can't get up feature". If I was buying and not replacing I'd certainly take a serious look. Kind of how I feel about Shimano 9100 mechanical. For a new bike a 'no brainer', as an upgrade kind of hard to justify.

I see the problem for Garmin is that they are trying to improve a product vs satisfying an unmet need.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

If I'm reading Ray's explanation of this feature correctly, It's only useful for group rides for those who have the 820.

You gonna buy one for everyone on your group rides?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
16 gig internal memory, not 8.

And that's enough space to handle a lot of maps.
And it's preloaded with maps from Garmin, still has 6gb for other stuff.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah, I think the ship has long since sailed on that the moment people decided to create things like segments, cycling computers, heart rate monitors speed sensors, cadence sensors, Strava, and MapMyRide.
How dare you bring Strava into this! What's the point of riding at all if there's no Strava to which to upload it?!

Sacrilege!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts