Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple of new Gator tires on sale in N.Y. Afterwards I found out that one of them has a "nick" as if its been squashed or squeezed during transport.

Return is not an option. So I need to decide if I want to mount it. :confused:

I include some pictures to make it easier to evaluate. The bend where is happened is easy to see, the "nick" is also clearly there when I run my finger along the hard boarder of the tire. Feels hard - almost like a stone stuck in the tire wall.

Theoretically the tire pressure should easily take care of the "nick" - but I welcome any thoughts on this:

View attachment 281160

View attachment 281161

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Looks like a wire bead, rather than Kevlar? I'd try to straighten the kink as much as possible before mounting. Just bend it back the other way until it's pretty straight. It might be fine once it's on. The hard thing you're feeling might be the wire bead itself, exposed through the cut in the rubber.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Looks like a wire bead, rather than Kevlar? I'd try to straighten the kink as much as possible before mounting. Just bend it back the other way until it's pretty straight. It might be fine once it's on. The hard thing you're feeling might be the wire bead itself, exposed through the cut in the rubber.
Yup - bent wire bead. Straighten by hand so you don't scuff or cut the rubber with a tool edge. Should be fine but obviously there should be no bulges in the casing when it's pumped up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.