Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a younger rider, and I'm entering my first race/event June 22. It's a fifty-miler, and I have twenty days to continue training. I have a performence hybrid, but i can still ride that puppy pretty hard. Any tips you could give a new guy?

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Is it?

Guardian337 said:
Hey guys,

I'm a younger rider, and I'm entering my first race/event June 22. It's a fifty-miler, and I have twenty days to continue training. I have a performence hybrid, but i can still ride that puppy pretty hard. Any tips you could give a new guy?
Is it a race, or is it an organized ride? I only ask because a cat 5 50 mile road race sounds fairly lengthy to me. But hey, I could be wrong.

· Registered
714 Posts
As it's a charity ride, there will be guys who treat it like a race; but you don't need to be one of those guys. Push yourself as much as you want, but most of all be safe, be hydrated, and be energized with food and whatnot so you don't have any issues.

As far as training; ride some hard short days, some long easier days, some intervals; anything really that stretches you. You'll be fine.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Try to get in at least a 40 miler with 10-14 days to go. 45 or 50 if you're up to it. When you go past 2 hours or so on the bike, aches and pains start to appear, energy sources change, and you'll want to find out about these before the big day and make any changes necessary.

· Registered
896 Posts
make sure your tires are at full inflation. make sure you had a spare tube and C02, and know how to use it. you will be out there for 3.5-4hrs. you need food and drinks. you should buy some endurance drink mix. plan on drinking 3 bottles per hour, especially if its hot. you also need to eat starting at the end of the first hour. Cliff bars would be my choice, but others will suggest everything from potatoes and sandwiches to fruit. avoid the goos unless you plan to carry 3/hour. start out slow, draft where possible. at the midpoint speed up if you feel able

· TWD
603 Posts
the charity ride may have food stops saving you some hassle. Even if that's the case I would have at least one water bottle (2 is better when its warm) and I carry gu or the like. double espresso is good for me but ymmv

look at the elevation of the ride, know where the tough spots are going to be. look for the food stops. find some buddies to ride with be them day of event buddies or ones you bring with you. Try to get some experience riding in larger groups and learning how to draft a wheel and mod your speed without brakes (pull r or l into the wind). pack riding will really decrease your effort and leave more for hills

good luck and ride safe, if you feel tired take a break

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.