Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here who (finally!) made a decision on a new bike. My choices
were a Trek 7.5, Giant FCR1, Fuji Absolute 1.0 and lastly a Felt Speed
22. The Fuji was the cheapest of the four, going out the door for $715.
It was a nice bike but suffered from road vibration. The other three
were in the $900 - $950 range, I rode all three (15 minutes each) and
came to the conclusion the Felt was the best fit and ride for me. The
Trek and Giant were awesome though, it was a tough decision. I purchased
cycling shoes to clip in the pedals, my first pair so it will take some
getting used to. I also had the shop install a computer to keep track of
my mileage, speed, etc. I plan on going for a ride this weekend (totally stoked!) and will
write a review once a have a few under my belt. Thanks to all for the
advice, the best piece I've received was to ride as many bikes as
possible. It's been a fun buying experience and I look forward to riding
my first century.

I should probably put in a plug for the bike shop that assisted me, Bikeology in Torrance CA. The salesperson CJ took her time and went out of her way with my purchase waffling and the mechanics are top notch.

I'm going to post a recent ride I went on in the Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports forum with my GT last Saturday.

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to RBR :thumbsup:

Just a tip with your new clipless shoes since for most people it's the a big hurdle when starting cycling. Before heading out for that first ride, lean up in a door way or against a wall and practice clipping in and out at least 100 times. It helps wear the pedals in a little bit and develop the much needed 'heel-out' muscle memory that you'll need. Anticipate when you need to stop (eg. a set of lights) and unclip one foot well before. Unfortunately you'll probably have a very low speed fall due to you're feet not coming out- don't worry it's happened to pretty much everyone. Just keep at it and it'll become second nature: I even step heel out from bikes with normal platform pedals :).

Oh yeah, we need pics! If you want to, there's the Commuting and Ride Report forum where you can post up your ride.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Congrats John...I started riding last year again after a decade of not riding.

The benefits are overwhelming.

Enjoy.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
203 Posts
Congratulations

Welcome to the black hole that is bicycling. Let us know the next time that you go into the LBS to "look around" and walk out without buying something. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd love to see some pictures of your acquisition. Congratulations! Sounds like you really worked on this choice. Most people don't and end up whining. I bought a Trek FX 7.5 in May of last year. The new models were arriving, and the LBS had one left for a discounted price $710. My size. As of today, the shop I bought it from would have a hard time identifying it. These hybrids are great fun to upgrade and change.

Enjoy!

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Just curious...

Is there a particular reason you chose to get more of a hybrid/recreational type set up than road/race bike? Maybe commuting, running errands, etc.?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Congrats on your new bike & welcome to RBR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

Majura: I went to a parking lot and experimented with the shoes & clips for about five minutes before I got the hang of it. To be honest, I almost fell over once, ugh. Now, after a 40 mile ride yesterday (just about halfway to my first Century!) I pretty much have it down. I don't cleat in while in city traffic or heavy pedestrian crowds, the pedals on my Felt are cleat and flat on the opposite side (which I like). I still need practice on putting them in the cleats however. I'll get there, it took Edison many times to make a light bulb.

Steamwood: I plan on going to my LBS and buying a few goodies (tire repair stuff) today.

Seeborough: I'm upgrading from a GT Avalanche 3.0 MTB which I purchased to cruise the bike path. I wanted a "real" road bike with flat bars, I'm not ready for a low bar bike. I had a slipped disc in my back last year and my doctor advised me not to.

First impressions: Wow! What a ride. This thing is light and fast. Yesterday I was keeping up and even passed a roadie. Looked down at the speedo and was easily doing 20mph and had three more gears to use. I ran out of steam before the bike, I need to work on my cardio obviously. One roadie whom I kept pace with stopped at a stop sign and looked to see what I was riding. He even mentioned for me to go first. At first when I looked at my new ride it was somewhat bland looking, not as flashy as Trek or Giant. Now I prefer the stealth "sleeper" look.

I'm going to attempt posting pictures, hopefully (I've never done this) I'll get it right.

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Banned
203 Posts
John in Long Beach said:
First impressions: Wow! What a ride. This thing is light and fast. Yesterday I was keeping up and even passed a roadie. .

John in Long Beach, CA
I hope that the roadie that you passed hung his head in shame. Being passed by a hybrid with a kickstand, reflectors and "dork disk" would aggravate most "roadie pricks" It shows that the legs and lungs are more important than the equipment.

Sounds like you had a great time. Snow covered roads and 19 degrees is forcing me to spend another god awful session on the trainer in the basement. You will get to your century in no time. From experience make sure you have enough to eat and drink.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steamwood, I had to Google "dork disc", too funny. I guess I'm a dork as it's staying on along with my reflectors and kickstand. I live in downtown Long Beach, there are a lot of cars so anything I can put on my bike to be seen I'm using it. I even put my headlight and taillight on to blink/flash. When a bike and car meet, gross tonnage prevails, I'll do my darn best not to end up in an SUV grille...

Interesting comment on roadie "pricks", generally speaking the ones I meet in my travels are not the most, well, we'll just say "friendly" to my MTB or Hybrid. I'm not here to get in an argument but the majority I've met are on the snobbish side. What's up with that? I can say however, that in my own bicycle time line I do see myself on a low bar road bike, just have to give my back a little time (doctor's orders).

Sorry to hear about your weather but interested in knowing what type of trainer setup you have in your basement.

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Banned
203 Posts
Some other useful terms to know is "bonking" and "Fred". You have probably experienced the first one and you don't want the be the second.

Why are alot of roadies rude snobs when on their bikes? I am sure, so I blame the French. I went from a hybrid to a cyclocross bike and just got my first true road bike. I will see if my disposition becomes more unfriendly to other riders.

I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer in the basement. I got last years model on Amazon for a reasonable price. I thought that I would use it to just keep the weight off over the winter but I have found some training DVDs to try and push myself.

Also you might want to look into joining a bicycle club. I found one in my area that has a wide variety of group rides at all sorts of distances and speeds. You can learn alot from just talking to people that have been riding longer than you have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I haven't "bonked" yet, I really pace myself while riding taking many breaks. Probably too many as it takes me forever to make mileage, I blame in part my camera as I like to take pictures. I do carry water and snacks to fuel up and always start with a big breakfast. I work out on my gym four days a week, perhaps that helps.

I did a Google on "Fred" and found little, perhaps you can send me a link, I'm clueless.

I will Google your Kurt Kinetic, more knowledge to feed the mind. I'm looking at treadmills for cardio too.

Bicycle Club? Nah, I ride at my own pace, I do my own thing, I go where I want to go, I do want I want to do, I stop constantly to take pictures. That's my style. I do talk to my fellow bicyclists along the way (not the roadie snobs) and value their advice so I'm not stubborn. I have a mind closed to nothing and open to everything, I can learn from a 12 or 80 year old.

Now do me a favor, don't be a roadie "snob" when the weather heats up.

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
John,

This is becoming an interesting thread not only because you have a very healthy attitude to cycling, but also how that contrasts to some of the darker elements in so-called roadie culture.

I'm a re-tread roadie (been out of it for a long time) and have been on the learning curve since I bought my Specialized Allez last year.

As you are discovering, there is a (I hope) minority among so-called roadies that are snobs and find ten-thousand ways to look down on Noobs (like us), Freds and Clydes.

Someone needs to write a Mrs. Manners for seasoned roadies! But in the meantime, we can dedicate ourselves to not becoming like them...seems like you have made a good start! Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks LostViking for the kind remarks, now please explain to me what a "Fred" or "Clyde" is. A Google search for me yielded nothing. Ugh. :idea:

Gracias,

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Clyde - Short for Clydesdale: This is an actual class of riders in Triathlons, who are over 200 lbs. A Clydesdale is a heavy horse. Many, though not all, use this term to tell you that you are large (or overweight).

Fred - Wikipedia has a better definition then I can write up, check it out there.
Also, search some of the other threads here "Does wearing a Pro-jersey make me a Fred?" for example.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Actually 'Clyde' is a visual observation only. It's not intended to invoke a judgment call from people who worship anorexic starlets who gack-up 3 meals a day. An attempt to be polite, if you will.

'Fred' isn't very friendly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts