Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, new to the site. little intro. its been a while since ive been serious into biking. never road biked. strictly mtb. i am a "weightlifter" . what got me seriously interested in road biking (even though i hate to admit it) is spin class. ive been spinning getting my endurance/cardio up on top of my workouts. (i strength train legs also, )

basically i forgot how much i like cycling in general.
so after some looking around ive kinda decided on a specialized roubaix.
the reason im posting is to get some insight on some other manuf. that have a comparable endurance type/race bike?

im not going to be competing or anything like that. but when i "train" workout etc. its a serious affair with me. lol. so im not someone to buy mediocre equipment. i never end up happy and end up buying the "better" option later on.

all that being said im 6'3" 230lb. (currently) muscular build etc. i will continue to cut weight as the cardio kicks in more.

the roubaix seemed like a good fit for me from what i have read. still a race bike but a little/tiny bit more comfortable than a tarmac?
im not dead set on specialized, just dont know much about other brands.
since im on the heavy end anyways, i wasnt to concerned about being a weight weenie and thought the disc option might be good for my weight, plus not to mess up the carbon rims?
at this point i am comfortable up to about $5k ish. i plan on keeping the bike for a long time instead of getting a cheaper one and wanting to upgrade a year later.

lastly i will be doing the full blown professional fit to get me on the right fit path. thanks for any input.

oh im in s.e. michigan

·
Registered
164 Posts
hey guys, new to the site. little intro. its been a while since ive been serious into biking. never road biked. strictly mtb. i am a "weightlifter" . what got me seriously interested in road biking (even though i hate to admit it) is spin class. ive been spinning getting my endurance/cardio up on top of my workouts. (i strength train legs also, )

basically i forgot how much i like cycling in general.
so after some looking around ive kinda decided on a specialized roubaix.
the reason im posting is to get some insight on some other manuf. that have a comparable endurance type/race bike?

im not going to be competing or anything like that. but when i "train" workout etc. its a serious affair with me. lol. so im not someone to buy mediocre equipment. i never end up happy and end up buying the "better" option later on.

all that being said im 6'3" 230lb. (currently) muscular build etc. i will continue to cut weight as the cardio kicks in more.

the roubaix seemed like a good fit for me from what i have read. still a race bike but a little/tiny bit more comfortable than a tarmac?
im not dead set on specialized, just dont know much about other brands.
since im on the heavy end anyways, i wasnt to concerned about being a weight weenie and thought the disc option might be good for my weight, plus not to mess up the carbon rims?
at this point i am comfortable up to about $5k ish. i plan on keeping the bike for a long time instead of getting a cheaper one and wanting to upgrade a year later.

lastly i will be doing the full blown professional fit to get me on the right fit path. thanks for any input.

oh im in s.e. michigan
The Roubaix is an excellent bike. Endurance bike as they call it. A bit more relaxed fit with taller head tubes, but I welcome that. I bought one a few weeks ago (Comp Compact) and my wife got the Ruby Elite Apex on sale (the female version of the Roubaix). She claims hers is like "butter" as it soaks up the chatter and bumps with the Zertz inserts and forgiving frame. I would agree when comparing it to the alloy Allez with carbon fork my Roubaix replaced.

I guess the Madone is the Trek endurance bike equivalent.

Not sure the Roubaix comes in your size with the discs. I wanted one of those as well, but no go in the US. Maybe someday they will release them in the larger sizes. I'm about your height (3/4" taller) and my Specialized dealer said the largest Roubaix with disc brakes was the 58cm in the US, even though the website lists larger sizes with the caveat * *Not all sizes available in all markets.

I got the 64cm Roubaix and it fits like a glove. I can hammer over all the uneven asphalt, curbs, wooden bridges, gravel road crossings, gravel roads and it has as much get up and go road bike speed as I'll ever need.

View attachment 280006

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow, i guess i wont be getting the disc then? yeah, i assumed i could get a 61cm since that is what the website listed... bummer. i didnt confirm that with the dealer. ive talked to the bike fitter via phone and he said i would most likely be a 61cm. i have "normal" dimensions i.e. no freakishly long legs etc. compared to my upper. he said he would be able to find out once we started fitting what size exactly, but most likely 61.

·
Registered
164 Posts
oh wow, i guess i wont be getting the disc then? yeah, i assumed i could get a 61cm since that is what the website listed... bummer. i didnt confirm that with the dealer. ive talked to the bike fitter via phone and he said i would most likely be a 61cm. i have "normal" dimensions i.e. no freakishly long legs etc. compared to my upper. he said he would be able to find out once we started fitting what size exactly, but most likely 61.
After the LBS said their computer showed only up to the 58cm being available, I called Specialized Customer Service directly and they confirmed that. Nobody could answer the question if someday down the road they would release the 61 and 64cm disc Roubaix bikes here in the states, but maybe if demand warrants it...

Although heavier, the Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker was about the only option I found with disc brakes for a road bike in our size.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not dead set on a disc. just seemed like a good direction?

well, ive been looking online and found the

giant, defy advanced 0. ($4800 msrp)

seems like a lot of bang for the buck?
di2 ultegra components etc. without using a cheaper drive like most of the specialized bikes in that price range.

·
Will rep for beer
619 Posts
FYI, this has been asked on the Specialized board too. Do a quick search and you should get a few good hits.
You won't be dissapointed in the Roubaix. I've had mine for nearly two years now. I'm 6'4" and down to about 215 but maxed at 225. If you can, test ride the Tarmac and several other makes and models. I gave both a bit of time and the Roubaix just fit me better. Both were great bikes though.
If you're coming from an MTB back ground, it may take some time to get a feel for what fits you better since its a very different ride. You may know this already but the roadie position is much more static than the MTB ride so the little things make much more of a difference in fit. On the MTB I'm rarely in the same position for more than maybe 15 minutes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i here ya. its been some years since ive biked at all really... lol.

i found a great local place that has the defy and roubaix to try side by side. they are also a big time fitter that a lot of people around here use i have since found out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That'll all work. Some notes:

- I wouldn't get too obsessed about disk brakes unless you live (as I do) in the Rockies or similar...AND regularly put in the miles up and down stuff like Independence Pass. Even in Front Range Colorado, we have some decent climbs, and my SRAM Force brakes are just fine.

- Spesh is having a spring sale:

Specialized Bicycle Components

So you don't *have* to go up to 5K, they're selling the Elite Apex Compact for $1900.

- Be advised that they changed the Roubaix for 2013...still an endurance bike, but has a little more of the Tarmac feel. I got a 2012 Roubaix SL3 frame and built it up, and I like it just fine. So if you can find a 2012 SL3 bike or frameset, it'll probably be a good deal, and a great bike.

- The BG fit is a great idea, I had one done, and I've never been set up better on any bike I've owned.

- If you want to drop a few bucks and get exactly the bike you want, consider buying a frame, which is what I did, and building it up. I paid $2100 for my 2012 SL3, built it up exactly the way I wanted, and the total came out to $4000. This year's SL4 Pro frameset is $2850.

My build-up included SRAM Force, and I couldn't be happier. By-bye, Shimano. 2013 Force has some cool trickled down from the Red group. The lower SRAM groups pretty much function as well as Force and Red, the lower groups just weigh more (I also have a 2008 Roubaix Quick Step frame with SRAM Apex).

Also a Ritchey stem and Specialized Pro Shallow Bend Carbon bars, which I highly recommend. Specialized saddles are the best, too, IMHO. My wheelset is Boyd Vitesse, which are amazing wheels, especially for $550 for front and back, Michelin Pro3 Service Course (on sale). I used to ride Conti GP4000S exclusively, I think the Michelin's have a lot more road feel.

That's about it...have fun!

yeah i here ya. its been some years since ive biked at all really... lol.

i found a great local place that has the defy and roubaix to try side by side. they are also a big time fitter that a lot of people around here use i have since found out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time on 2009 Roubaix elite (I think, it was the 105 group) Last summer. Some 1000 miles on it to be exact.

I loved the thing...smooth ride, good acceleration, nice handling.

When the time came to make my own purchase, I went with the Tarmac however (2012 105 group). I'm more into intense riding and the Tarmac feels like the Roubaix "+1". Its definitly Faster amd stiffer...but also harsher and more twitchy. I personally love it and welcome the punishment this bike can dish out...but I still love the Roubaix and definitely will be getting one a few years down the road. Ill be ably to do a century on the Tarmac this summer...but I bet the Roubaix would have made it more enjoyable. Then again...shorter rides that are faster, more intense and involve more climbing fit the Tarmac to a T...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like I need to look at the trek domaine then also.
I know there are a lot of bikes in this category but around me locally I an easily find great bike shops that sell all of these. That have been I. Business forever, do the fitting etc. which is semi important to me. I would love to have the time to wrench on bikes , but with kids, and everything else going on I would rather spend time riding...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
For competitive racing and keeping your course on paved roads, a performance road bike should be your objective. However, for a good cardio workout, traversing both paved and country trails, a cyclocross road bike should be more to your liking.

If you want one that will last for a lifetime, then just check this one out:
www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/cyclocross/roper-13/

It's fast too!

·
odearja
87 Posts
For competitive racing and keeping your course on paved roads, a performance road bike should be your objective. However, for a good cardio workout, traversing both paved and country trails, a cyclocross road bike should be more to your liking.

If you want one that will last for a lifetime, then just check this one out:
www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/cyclocross/roper-13/

It's fast too!

I think I just fell in love! I hate to see how much it costs

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive been looking at the trek domane series online. on the website it looks like you can build your own bike? is it cost effective to do this?

or are you better off just buying a 5 series or whatever model and staying with it?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.