Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, this forum has been pretty refreshing. I'm a pretty avid forum reader for my different hobbies, and I'm glad to see the attitude here.

I never thought I would like to ride a road bike, wearing spandex pants and bright colors. A good friend of mine convinced me to try it and now I'm hooked, with probably $1000.00 in bike and gear already.

What I find refreshing is everyone's attitude concerning riding. I believe it's more important to ride than to worry about what my bike weighs, or how fast I'm going, or what my heartrate is at any given time. I probably have a terrible training program, where I ride as much as I can and eat too much of the wrong things.

I just finished buying some Biemme winter bibs, a fleece-lined jersey, some sort of neoprene shoe covers (my feet get cold!), Louis Gaerne shoes, and Look clipless pedals (the last two I needed so that I can give my friend his shoes and pedals back) with cleats.

This is costing me as much as my motorcycling hobby, and it's my first full year!

Keep up the good work, guys and gals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome New Guy

It's all about getting out there and riding and having a good time doing it. Unfortunatly for you its only going to get more expensive. That road biking bug has a big bite. Which is also half the fun later of getting upgrades. :)

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
The first year, it's really expensive, because you started with nothing at all.

The second year, it's REALLY expensive, because you decide that the bike that seemed like maybe a little too much money for your first road bike is now begging for an upgrade.

I hear after that, either you settle into what you've got or you get totally addicted and buy 527 new bikes.

Either way, have fun out there.

One of the things that I like the most about road biking compared to all the other hobbies I've abandoned is that it's something that you can actually *DO*, pretty much any day.

I can actually spend more time riding than I do dorking around on the computer planning it, upgrading my stuff, etc. It's nice.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Argentius said:

The second year, it's REALLY expensive, because you decide that the bike that seemed like maybe a little too much money for your first road bike is now begging for an upgrade.

I hear after that, either you settle into what you've got or you get totally addicted and buy 527 new bikes.

One of the things that I like the most about road biking compared to all the other hobbies I've abandoned is that it's something that you can actually *DO*, pretty much any day.

I can actually spend more time riding than I do dorking around on the computer planning it, upgrading my stuff, etc. It's nice.
angentenius is exactly right. after you build up your equipment collection, youll only have to supplement it and replace stuff. next year might be expensive though. usually roadies buy a mildly-priced bike at first and then, not that long after, go for something really, really nice. so don't do anything to your current bike that would hurt the resale value. it's your baby right now, but it might be up on the classified's soon. Welcome to the wacky world of cycling!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm just going to take extraneous stuff off the OCR3, like those brake levers on the flats, and leave it completely stock and heavy. I really wanted a superlight carbon everything bike late this year or early next, but I'm beginning to realize that at 250+ (unless I lose some weight this year) the carbon superlight is probably a bad idea. :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sindic said:
I think I'm just going to take extraneous stuff off the OCR3, like those brake levers on the flats, and leave it completely stock and heavy. I really wanted a superlight carbon everything bike late this year or early next, but I'm beginning to realize that at 250+ (unless I lose some weight this year) the carbon superlight is probably a bad idea. :D

Calfee....... they will build it to hold 2 gorillas and a ford if you want.....;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
How many gorillas to buy a Calfee

cmatcan said:
yeah, and they cost as much as 6 gorillas and a BMW.
Calfee Luna doesn't cost as much as 6 gorillas, maybe only 1 3/4 gorillas and a bunch of bananas. The Dragonfly costs 6 elephants or more.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
SantaCruz said:
Calfee Luna doesn't cost as much as 6 gorillas, maybe only 1 3/4 gorillas and a bunch of bananas. The Dragonfly costs 6 elephants or more.
And if you get one of Craig's bamboo frames, the whole menagerie will have something to snack on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Argentius said:

*L*, that is so entirely true. My partner and I both spend around $1200 each on bikes (and gear). We have decided to train hard, lose a few kilos (why worry about light weight parts when you can still slim down a bit), and spend a good few thousand each on bikes for a Christmas.

We are currently torn between....buying a bike in the $2500 range each, and then potentially wanting a new one in a few years time. Or just saving hard and spending $5000 each on the bike/gear etc and being done with it.

I look forward to being able to do weekend rides on a bike that doesn't have a pannier bracket on it (for my daily commute).

But at the moment it is $800 on bike clothing (gosh it is expensive) as a goal for reaching some goal kilometres per week/fitness levels.

An expensive sport....you are not kidding about that!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
dont forget clothes

you will also find yourself having to buy replacement bike/street clothes after you lose some weight from riding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Classic thread hijack! I feel welcome now! :)

Went to the LBS and had the brake levers from the flats removed. With those and the reflectors gone, I estimate I've saved 50-60 grams! Which means I only need to lose about 120lbs to be at the same weight as the guys I ride with. 8)

Edit: I gotta figure out these smilies!

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Wooo hoooo, that is 2 ounzes down, 1920 to go. :D

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
You can get a pretty top shelf bike at $2500 but a lot of people will have them. At $5000 you're buying exclusivity, not bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
You can get a pretty top shelf bike at $2500 but a lot of people will have them. At $5000 you're buying exclusivity, not bikes.
I should add that I was talking in Aussie dollars. If you are talking US, then AU$2500 = US$1900. So around the AU$3500 sounds about like what we are wanting to spend.

Why do all the guys who race have bikes that start at a minimium of AU$5000 and go up...even in the amateur ranks?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts