Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jeff
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite. Prior had a Marin Hy-Bird. My wife and I ride several times a week (200 miles @ month) and I spin at work. My question, the LBS did a good job fitting me but the new position hurts my neck a bit. Seat and bars are on the same plane and the later is as high as possible. The LBS said they could raise the bars (insert new piece) if needed but I should try and ride it for a few days before making this adjustment.

Is this a common issue with transition to Road Bikes, I am in early 50's maybe just need to break in or do you recommend the lift job. I know this might be subjective and I am new to both this forum and cycling - thanks for your input.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you haven't ridend a road bike before, the position is a more agressive one. Meaning your weight should be distributed 60% saddle 40% bars. My neck took about a month before I built up the muscles to hold my head up on long rides. If your neck is just getting tired then that's normal. If it's in pain then you might have some adjustments to make.

·
Jeff
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is logical,..I will try it for a few weeks before the lift job.

Could I ask another question,..what is a good average MPH for a rider like me. On the Hy-Bird I could average around 13 on a course about 15 miles long with a few hills (each about 1/2 miles long).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't worry about your speed. Just go out, ride hard, and put in as many miles as you can. Speed will come on its own as your slow-twitch muscles develop and become stronger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts